Sunday 4 November 2007

Gimme Ten !

That's right, I finally ran an entire 10K yesterday! It almost didn't happen this year. Back in July on a day I was feeling good I set out to run 10K and I did the whole thing with no walking, but I hadn't clocked the route out ahead in my car, so I just ran a route I figured was 10K (I run gadget free, so nothing to tell me my distance while I'm running). When I drove the route I'd ran afterwards it was only 9K, which was pretty defeating that I hadn't accomplished my goal.
*
Shortly after that we went on our summer holiday, which meant 2 weeks with no running. And when I got back from my holiday I didn't feel like running, but for months now the fact that I fell 1K short of my goal has been nagging at me. I started up on exercising again in September with the help of my friend Erin. She is the best because she sets goals for herself, and then brings me along for the ride. Like she decided it was time for her to get serious about food storage, and she invited me along to the cannery, and now I'm all stocked up!*

Cannery Self Portrait *

But back to my running: So Erin decided she wanted to go to the gym early in the morning before her children woke up, and she asked me to come with her. I'm glad I said yes to her because I'm not sure I would have exercised regularly this fall without my 6:30am gym date. So all we've been doing is running for 20 mintues, and then walking for 10 minutes, followed by a few weights and sit ups - nothing close to running 10K.

And then yesterday was such a beautiful day. Before I went grocery shopping Ken told me he was going to go for a bike ride because he'd heard it was going to snow, and so Saturday may have been his last chance for a ride this year. That planted the thought with me that Saturday might be my last chance for a long outside run this year, and it was all I could think about while I was at the store. So when I got home I just did it. Working out at the gym with Erin gave me just enough cardio strength, and then my mental toughness got me the distance.

My running style is that I disguise myself with sunglasses and a baseball cap so that no one driving by will recognize me. I keep my hands in a fist with my thumbs tucked inside - I'm not comfortable any other way. I keep my eyes on the ground in front of me with just the occasional glance up to see how far away that next corner or landmark is. I don't have an mp3 player, and I'm not sure I want one. There is something about being alone with my thoughts that I like when I'm running.
*

In other fitness news, I'm still swimming. At least half of my adult swim class has dropped out of the lesson, which makes the lesson that much better for me with a smaller group. At my last lesson I learned a new skill: I learned how to do a somersault in the water at the end of a length to turn around and *Just Keep Swimming* in the opposite direction.

19 comments:

Marie said...

You got that Nemo song in my head. Thanks. A lot.

That said, Way to go on the 10K! I totally know what you mean about not wanting to be recognized while you run. I do my exercise in the living room so no one will see me. Red face, huffing and puffing...it's not pretty. Hilarious you tuck your thumbs into your fists. I did not know that.

Ortensia Norton said...

That's awesome! Good for you. I seem to be far from reaching my exercise goals!

jenny said...

Woo hoo Barb!! That is great. I actually have been running without my ipod for a while and seemed to enjoy the peace as well. I am laughing about your disguise. I think I actually do the same thing with my hands, I will have to pay attention next time.

Kelly said...

Very impressive Barb! I have never accomplished a flip turn without water up my nose. I'm jealous of your new skills!

Anonymous said...

Good for you on the run. I am also jealous about the somersault deal. I always thought that would be cool to learn.

I run with my hands in almost-closed fists. Don't know why.

michelle said...

Oh my word, the cannery self-portrait is priceless! I don't know which I'm more impressed with, the 10K or the flip turn -- I've always wanted to be able to do one of those! Maybe someday I will take swimming lessons...

Lucy said...

Woo-hoo on the 6.2 miles! I know you don't do miles, but I've got to continue to think in our confusing system of measurement here in the states:)

I love that you learned to flip underwater. I love to swim but have never learned to do that so you are one up on me.

And, I also now have that catchy little phrase in my head from Nemo. Thanks:)

Denise said...

It takes a confident woman to post a portrait of herself in a hairnet. Love it!

Go you, with the caught-up food storage and the fancy schmancy somersaults and the long-distance running, even when no one's chasing you. You rock!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! It's great to have a motivating friend to help you get moving!

Cute cannery picture!

Elizabeth said...

Way to go!
I am in dire need of some exercise but whenever I even walk to fast I start getting contractions. I need to try swimming.

Mandy said...

Great job! I think having a friend who wants to work out too is very helpful!

Unknown said...

great job!! i love that you just decided to do it.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post today! I just started back working out. I feel so inspired. I love to work out! I really would love to run a 5k. It is also fun to hear you taking swim lessons. Something else I have alway's wanted to be better at. For me the timing right now just wont' work.

Michelle Alley said...

Wow! What great running and exercise goals Barb! It must be really refreshing to have gone for that run outside - especially with the impending "doom" as I call it - or impending winter ahead. It's great to be back and I can't wait to get caught up on your blog!

carlo said...

yay barb!!!!!!! that is so great.

i posted about fitness today, too.

wish we could head out for a quick 10k together!!!!

and seriously on the swim lessons? so awesome.

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh how fun to have a swimming class...i love swimming and miss those classes....love the picture of dory...and that cannery photo is soo coool....

Price Cream Parlor said...

so fantastic! Congrats! Always great to have a buddy! I have to agree with Marie,...now I have the 'just keep swimming song' in my head!

everything pink! said...

way to go!

annalisa said...

Hooray on the 10k! I'm laughing about the fists being a comfortable position. If I were to see you running, I'd probably think you were working off some major steam :).
But believe it or not, I am way more excited about your flip! I remember fretting about these when I joined the swim team, most of all about hitting the wall with my legs, but I have touched the wall with my fingers and still had room to flip. I love swimming! When Alexis goes back on track next week I plan to tread a few laps myself.