Monday 25 June 2007

Gimme Five!

I know I said in my 100 list that I wasn't going to return to exercise again till July, but the weather got warmer and I got interested in exercising again at the beginning of June. There aren't many days that I am home without Chloe, so my return to running schedule was irregular at best. I made a few stabs at running earlier this month and it was painful. The best I did was like 1 kilometer, and then walking the other 4K in my 5K route from last spring.
But last week on Wednesday, I gave running another try after taking 2 weeks off. I just set out without a specific goal, taking a route I hadn't run before so that I wouldn't make any comparisons, and I felt great! When I got home I wanted to jump in my car to check how far I'd gone, but Chloe (who was home with Jaclyn who is done school because honors students don't have to write finals, how great is that?) Chloe wanted to go on a run with me as soon as I got in from my solo run, and she just couldn't wait. When we got home from our run Jaclyn snapped this picture of us for Chloe's *news day* at kindergarten. Soooo, later in the afternoon I finally got to drive my new running route, and it was 5.3K! I was so excited to have ran so far - with no walking.
The next day I was pretty worn out and didn't think I could repeat my running success of Wednesday, so instead I went on a bike ride of about 15K. I figured a change was as good as a rest.
Today I set out on my new running route once more: 5.3K with the last kilometer being all uphill and I ran the whole thing again, which means Wednesday wasn't a fluke. I have no idea of how I've jumped back in to running like this. Last spring when I first took up running it took me a month of running 3x per week to get up to 5K without walking. I'm going to call my experiences earlier in June interval training, I guess, because I'm back up to my best running.
It looks like I need to challenge myself further. Maybe at the end of the summer I'll ask you to gimme 10?

15 comments:

Jill said...

Wow, I'm super impressed that you got back into exercising earlier than you had planned AND that you were able to do so easily. What's up with that? That's a long way to run without stopping, especially if you're not in the habit of doing so. Congrats!

I haven't been to the gym for over 2 weeks now and I'm seriously worried that it's going to be like starting over by the time I return. Drat!

Anne said...

Very impressive, keep it up!

PS I wish I looked half as cute as you do when you run!!

Michelle Alley said...

I just love that picture! So reminds me of my girls! Great job on the 5+K and doing it twice! I'll give you a 10 now girl! I've been having to walk with my girls and their stroller since Craig's out of town again. So awesome for you! btw, I haven't forgotten you and sending goodmail. I am challenging myself to get things out faster - Would love to send you some of those crochet belts - would any of your girls like them? Please let me know! Great job -again!

jenny said...

Go Barb! I am not one to run everyday for the reason of being extremely tired and my legs feeling 1000lbs. I normally walk in between and run 2 times a week. Awesome job!!

Anonymous said...

Great job! Love the picture of Chloe running along with you.

Ortensia Norton said...

Good for you!! Since I bought my running shoes, I have taken 2 walks with them. I swear I will run in them someday...

carlo said...

GO GIRL! I love it Barb! GOod job...I have had a 2 weeks of tough runs (meaning very few) and need to get back to full swing. You are inspiring.

And how cute is the mother-daughter run pic? I really want to get Cass to go with me...

carlo said...

oh and i love interval training, as you call it. i need the variations but i still can't run the entire time without walking. that will come, right? lol i can see improvement but it is just not fast enough for me. :)

everything pink! said...

one

everything pink! said...

two

everything pink! said...

three

everything pink! said...

four

everything pink! said...

five!

everything pink! said...

can't wait to give you to come and give you 10!

annalisa said...

Cute picture. It's so strange to pinpoint what gets you to enjoy running. I had always hated running my whole life. And then last spring I wanted to loose weight and thought I'd give it a try, horrified that people could see me outside, but from the first day I loved it. Go figure. Now if only I could bottle that enthusiasm I'd be rich.