Thursday 13 September 2007

I've got the suds

We've been living without a working dishwasher for the most part of the last 7 months. Even after we repaired the dishwasher and cleaned out all the hard water deposits, the dishes were still coming out dirty.
And just when I finally broke down and bought a new dishwasher, hand washing the dishes became fun.
dirty jobs

On Sunday Steven and Carmen were doing the dishes (the new dishwasher was bought, but not yet delivered). Steven grabbed the next dish in line, a colander, and pressed it upside down into the dishwater. Bubbles came popping through the holes of the colander, bursting into his face. That was entertaining, so he did it again and again.

As the suds built up higher and higher in the sink Carmen begged for a turn washing the colander.

Carmen worked the bubbles till they were overflowing all over the counter, and soaking her pajamas. She said, "Look Mom! I've got the suds!"

But as fun as Sunday dishes were, all the kids were very excited when I gave them the good news on Monday that the dishwasher installation was booked for Thursday.

Then I gave them the bad news:


The clothes washer has come down with a case of "the suds" (won't drain the water). Carmen asked, "Does this mean now we have to wash our clothes by hand???" No dear, I'll take care of this one right away.
sheesh

16 comments:

Amy said...

I could have fun washing dishes in suds, but ONLY if the end (new dishwasher) was in clear sight. As for the washer, that is something I could defintely not live without. Good luck!

Emily said...

Isn't it amazing the fun you can find in the simplest of places. But oh happy day for the new dishwasher!

Mandy said...

Yay for the new dishwasher. Sorry to hear about your clothes washer. That has to be frustrating.

Ortensia Norton said...

I know why they ended those maytag commercials with the old man who had no work. It's b/c appliances just don't work the way they used to. They just don't last as long. Or that is what your dad always tells me. Say it aint so!!! And I love real syncronize swimming. Just love it! But I think I enjoy watching Martin Short even more!

Anonymous said...

You've been incredibly patient to wait 7 months to resolve the dishwasher issues. Too bad you only just discovered the fun a colander can be! And now your washer?? I don't see any potential fun in that one. Hope they come fix it soon!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a fun post to have for the future, Barb. Your kids are going to love having this memory preserved. I'm glad you posted it.

Why oh why do all the expensive things go in the same year?

Marie said...

I love Carmen's reaction to the clothes washer. You should go to a craft store and buy her a wash board.

Price Cream Parlor said...

Fun photos! I love the comment about washing the clothes by hand! So funny!

carlo said...

oh my!

it is always something, isn't it?

loved the pictorial. how do you take such clear photos? lol.

jenny said...

I only had that happen once. It was "fun" for a while but I welcomed back my dishwasher with open arms.

Bummers about the washing machine. Hopefully your break downs won't come in three's like mine.

Too bad you didn't use your "washing hands" for next week. Its the new challenge for SPT.

Denise said...

The day we have to hand-wash all our clothes is the day we all have exactly two outfits. Are are very smelly!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. No-dishwasher time is not fun. The last dishwasher I had was in an apartment several years back. But it was old, and my roommates and I did not trust it to actually wash dishes, so we hand-washed first anyway. I long for a dishwasher in my house, but the kitchen is not yet set up to handle one. Maybe some day...
Kind of sounds like your appliances are out to get you.

Anonymous said...

cute pictures, Bradley is our dish washer at our house. Rebecca loves to do the laundry. I love it when they find away to enjoy doing the every day task.

Lucy said...

I really wish things just worked the way the were supposed to. Happy, happy, joy, joy about your dishwasher but I sure hope you get your washer fixed/running without a lot of pain.

Sandi said...

If it isn't one thing it is twenty. We live without a dishwasher all the time because we are on a septic tank. But I NEED MY WASHER AND DRYER. Good luck.

michelle said...

"The suds" like on SpongeBob? That was the first thing I thought of... scary, huh?

I am convinced that appliances are not made to last anymore. My grandparents have had appliances for decades, but we have had new ones die after only 5 years! Good luck.