Tuesday 11 September 2007

I clearly remember my first day of class. I remember wondering if I would I know anybody there. I remember standing with a group of students, some of whom looked as nervous as I felt. I wondered if my teacher would be a boy or a girl. Yes, I remember it like it was yesterday.
n
Um, that's because it was yesterday - I started swimming lessons last night.
..n
I'm afraid I'm abusing the "freedom from the 'self-portrait' guidelines" in Lelly's SPT challenge this week. I did "take the time to find those old photos" and as I looked through my old pictures, it wasn't a school picture that jumped out at me, it was this one:
n
n
I'm the one in the pigtails and the bikini (shocking!) and I've never really passed this level of comfort in a pool. I failed nearly every swimming lesson I took up until the age of 9, and then my parents stopped putting me in lessons altogether. I enjoy water sports like water skiing with the security of a life jacket around me, but I'm not a swimmer. I have happily spent the last 14 years in the baby pool, letting my children graduate up to the big pool in turn while I stayed behind with the next baby. That's not working for me anymore because Chloe learned how to swim this summer, and really, it hasn't been working for me for a long time. The fact that I can't really swim holds me back from certain opportunities for fun and recreation, and I'm tired of it. So for the next 14 weeks every Monday night I'm taking a swimming lesson.
n

I told one of my friends on Saturday night that I was starting swimming lessons this week. She asked me why and I told her because I can't swim. My answer caught her off guard and it really hit her funny bone, and we both had a good laugh. She didn't know I'm not a swimmer, so when she asked my why I was going to take swimming lessons she thought I was going to say something like 'because swimming is terrific exercise'. Well, it is. My lesson really took it out of me.

n

As far as last night goes, everything I said at the beginning of this post was true. I really did feel like a kid on her first day of school. There were 20 people standing with me on the deck next to the pool - way more people taking adult lessons than I thought there would be. When the teachers (both are boys, my teacher's name is Jon) came to divide us into two classes they said, "If you can't swim more than half a length come in level 1, if you can swim a length or more, go in the level 2-3 split." Well, I had signed up for level 2 based on the description in the program guide, but suddenly I felt really insecure with that decision, and several of the women around me were second guessing themselves, also. Ultimately 12 women entered level 1, all the men entered the 2-3 split level, and one other woman and I entered the 2-3 split. I hadn't tried to swim a length at the YMCA ever, but something inside of me decided I'd have to be drowning in the middle of the pool and rescued by my teacher before I'd go in level 1.

n

So once we were in our classes, my teacher asked us to each swim a length to assess where we were at. I wasn't crazy about swimming with other people watching me, but what did I think was going to happen at a swimming lesson? My real problem was that I was barely or maybe not even a level 2 adult swimmer, and I'd been lumped in a class with level 3 swimmers (who are just there to learn how to swim faster and get tips for races), and I didn't know if I'd be the only weak swimmer or what. I sucked it up and swam my length. That went alright, but then swimming another length to get back to the teacher was rough. When I got back to my starting point I looked around and saw we'd been joined by one more class member, someone in my social circle, in fact someone who had been at the wake on Saturday night. Remember my friend who thought my taking swimming lessons was funny? She is going to think that having this guy (a high level-3 swimmer) in my class is hilarious!

!

21 comments:

Marie said...

I am totally surprised you are taking swimming lessons. I distinctly remember you declaring this summer that you felt the same way about swimming as I do about piano. Clearly, we have different levels of dislike!

Congrats on being brave. I would have to be drowning to join level 1 too.

And I am shocked beyond belief that mom put you in a bakini. I might just phone and tease her right now.

Kelly said...

Awesome! This is so cool, good for you for taking the class. I can't wait for you to challenge your friend to a race in a few months.

Friends that keep us humble are great, aren't they?

carlo said...

Again, the more I get to know the more I like, Barb!

Love the tie from past to present with the bikini and baby pool. I am so with you. I am not a strong swimmer. Ok, I can't really swim at all so I say GO FOR IT! Do it for all of us girls who aren't as brave. I am so proud of you!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh Barb, what a great post. I thought this showed funny and great determination, "but something inside of me decided I'd have to be drowning in the middle of the pool and rescued by my teacher before I'd go in level 1."

Good luck! I love to swim and hope you learn to at least enjoy it :)

Elizabeth said...

How great that your doing this. I can't wait to hear about your progress. You are an amazing woman.

jenny said...

I think it's great you are doing that! I can't wait until you are swimming like a champ! Go Barb!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I apologized to you BEFORE I read this!! And yes, my favorite part is that Joel is in your class. Unbelievable! I hope you kick his butt!

Erin

Denise said...

Swimming is great as long as you never have to put your face in the water. Or wear a swimsuit.

I'm impressed you're doing this. Go Barb! (Accidentally typed Bo Garb, lol)

Ortensia Norton said...

I took 6 weeks of lessons in Saskatoon. It was really good for me. I could take some more. I now try to go swimming 2 times a week b/c it is exercise for the wimpy body (well, can't take impact). I just love overcoming childhood fears. I'm proud of you. I think you'll love it. It does get easier. Now I dare you to do a triathalon.

Ortensia Norton said...

PS is that Mark in that girly suit?? Oh and I had to buy a bikini when I was 5. I gave up a Mickey Mouse suit b/c I really wanted one

Amy said...

I love that you are putting yourself out there to take swimming lessons. You truly do amaze me!

Michelle Alley said...

Barb, what an adventure! Great job on the swimming lessons, I'm like a hippo in the water, although, with the girls being little fish, I've been practicing my stroke a bit and find, maybe I'm not as much of a hippo as I thought. Anyway, good for you! And good luck with your class!

Price Cream Parlor said...

I think that it is fantastic to do something new. I love that you are going for it - feet first! :-)
Keep us posted on your progress and any races you might enter next summer! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love that you are doing this! I think it's great. Quite brave, in fact.

Also love the picture -- baby Mark is too too cute.

sista # 2 said...

I think that's awesome! Make a big splash ;)
(hey, do you have box tops there?)
it is a huge success at our school -free $$-always nice ;)ciao

Sandi said...

LOL, LOL, LOL

Mandy said...

I can swim, but not well. I really should take lessons again but don't know if I have the guts. Way to go!

Unknown said...

hysterical!! and? good for you!

Lucy said...

Way to go! I remember you mentioning once that you weren't a "strong swimmer". I think you're being brave and smart. You'll be flipping like a dolphin in no time!

Anonymous said...

Oh Barb I am so proud of you for taking swim lessons. I am not a very good swimmer either. Infact on my long list of things I would like to do in this life. Is really learn to swim. Like you after about 4 attempts at swim lessons, in which I would not put my ears int he water or did not want to get my hair wet. They quit trying to make me learn. I was about 9 also! So kudos to you for bravely going for ward with lessons. It is worth it!!

michelle said...

That is pretty cool! I have thought many times about signing up for swimming lessons. My mom signed me up for lessons when I was 5, and I sat on the edge of the pool crying the entire time. I can swim, sort of, but I never really learned any strokes, and I am a very weak swimmer. The thing is, I love the water! I would love to be a good swimmer! Maybe I should check into adult classes around here...