Monday 10 September 2007

A couple of years ago I was feeling like I wanted to be more involved in my children's school, but I still had a small child at home, so I wanted something flexible. Here's what I wandered into:

Campbell's Labels for Education™ is a school support program whereby registered schools collect labels from Campbell product labels and redeem them for educational resources ranging from sports equipment and musical instruments to video equipment and computers.

Okay, that didn't sound like me at all just there, did it? I pasted and copied the above straight from the Canadian website (American webiste here).

So basically it is my job to make parents in my school community aware that by saving labels from Campbell's Soup products we can earn cool stuff based on a points system.
:
I keep a box for label deposits just outside the main office at the school, and 2 or 3 times a year I count up all the labels and submit my count to Labels for Education.

This year I've really procrastinated setting out the box. I'm on the parent council now, and I enjoy working with people much better than counting labels at home alone. I think I need to invite some school-mom friends to help me with with this fundraiser, just for the company.
,

12 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a great way to be involved, Barb. That's great you can help like that.

carlo said...

Hey Barb. we have a great gal who already does this at our school (thankfully!) but i wanted to ask you- do you ever do contests or giveaways to encourage greater participation?

Our gal does a monthly drawing/give away and it is just products usually but the kids dig it. It is sometimes a Question they have to answer about healthy eating or a word search. I am not sure if BOxtops give her the contest materials or what. Cassie won a box of cereal last year and you would have thought she won the lottery based on her reaction!

carlo said...

ok, we do box tops and campbells at our school. Same gal does both. :)

Barb said...

Thanks, Carlo. A contest is a good idea. The one thing I do is I put a recipe that uses a participating product in the school newsletter.

Anonymous said...

ohhh, a recipe. good idea. love that! -carlo

Anonymous said...

Barb, sounds like a great way to help your school. We do box tops. I have never been in charge of it. Instead I am working on the reflections program. Which is a little more invovled than I planned

jenny said...

We don't do Campbell soup labels, but I remember that as a kid. We are big in to box tops. Good for you getting involved.

Marie said...

Yup, this sounds like Barb. Wanting to be involved, finding a project, heading it up, following through, and passing on the tip. You are such a great self-starter.

Price Cream Parlor said...

We do this at our school and there is always some contest attached to it - which class can bring in the most box tops or labels. Great way to be invovled. I ran the Arts in Education Dept for the PTA for years - it is a great way to get on board with your PTA. However, after years of "living" at the school - I have taken 4 years off. Now as Hunter is going to preschool - time to get back on board!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic program! Did you find out about it on your own? Or did you know other people who were already collecting labels? And it's such a great way for other parents to be involved and help the school even if they don't have time to join in on other activities, fundraisers, etc. Very cool.

Michelle Alley said...

I've been definately hoping to get involved with the girls schooling. It's so great that you started the labels and are now on the council - good for you barb! It's so great to see mom's getting involved.

Sandi said...

I love it. Just today, I found a charitable program to join. Headhuggers.org