Tuesday 4 September 2007

SPT - The kids are back in school

The first I thing I tackled this back to school season was meal planning. I guess I'd have to say that I'm not really that in to food. I like food when I'm eating it - I just don't think about food the rest of the time. This gets me into trouble as the chief chef in the house, because I'm always just as happy to have pancakes for supper as anything else. So 'winging it' for dinner all summer has had some close calls, and it's definitely time for 3 square meals a day with the kids back into their school schedule.
k
The rest of this week is going to run so smoothly now that I know what I'm going to make for supper every day, and better yet, I already have the ingredients!
/
Having said that, I feel like I could win a limited-ingredients cooking contest. I can really 'pull one out of the hat' when it comes to cooking dinner. There was one evening when all I had in the fridge was fresh mint and a cucumber. I found some rouladen (skinny cheap steak) in my freezer and made up spectacular (never-to-be-duplicated) Greek-style skewered beef with mint, which I served with cucumber salad (I pretended it was Tsatziki-like) and rice. I was so proud of that meal. My family had no idea how close they came to eating cereal for supper that night.
l
Just on this past Sunday we had nothing in the freezer or fridge that looked like it could be the main course for Sunday dinner.

Popcorn Chicken is really more like Saturday lunch food, but it was all I had to work with.

.

I did have lots of fruits and vegetables , so I turned the popcorn chicken into a faking-it recipe for Orange Chicken with Tomatoes served with fried rice on the side.
0
Will I miss the summer challenge of coming up with dinner on the fly? Yes, probably by the time spring comes I'll be ready to dump my lists and fly by the seat of my pants again.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed you all day for SPT! I've been terrible about meal planning for quite a while -- more than the summer. Today it was awesome to know exactly what was going to happen for all three meals. Definitely empowering!

I'm impressed at your creativity with random ingredients. Keith is also good at this (maybe a family trait?). I am terrible at this.

Ortensia Norton said...

Brilliant ideas! I'm not that creative. And I thought I was the only one who couldn't wait to throw lists out in the spring. Winter is great b/c of soup.

melanie said...

Oh I could never come up with food on the fly like that. I guess it explains why we've eaten more of our fair share of french toast, pancakes and waffles for dinner! You're amazing!

I am working at the menu planning ahead. I'm learning real fast (baptism by fire I think) that from the time they get home from school until they're in bed it flies by so I have to be prepared. I need a Costco close!

Jill said...

I am not good at coming up with meals on the fly, unless nachos count. And I have never bought or grown fresh mint ever, let alone created a meal with it. You're a wonder!

Kelly said...

Wow, maybe you should stay with flying by the seat of your pants! Those are some fancy meals.

If I announced cold cereal for dinner my kids would think it was a special holiday. I have no shame in letting the mint wilt in the fridge and pulling out the cheerios.

jenny said...

I hate meal planning as well. I don't mind if someone tells me what to cook. Like you I would be happy with toast or cereal. Out to eat...I'm there!

That is some creativity with the meals...you need to help me in my pantry and fridge.

Marie said...

How in the world do you do that?

When I can't think of dinner it often turns into spagetti night. We ate lots of spagetti this summer.

Anonymous said...

That is so impressive. I, too, am bad about planning meals. If I only have chicken nuggets, however, our meal would consist of chicken nuggets. I would never be able to come up with an actual meal out of them! Wow.

Michelle Alley said...

Meal planning is the end of me. I try so hard, yet I usually loose my list. We are a lot alike, although, I think you are a bit more health conscious than me when it comes to your spur of the moment meals. I find myself searching the fridge for indgredients and throwing stuff together, and in the end, it actually tastes pretty good! Great ideas with the popcorn chicken!

Unknown said...

i lOVE it!! i sat down on monday and did up a two week list of menus, then suffered through the grocery so that i can carry out my plan of action.

i love your thrown-together dishes! inspirational, even!! (i distinctly remember having chicken noodle soup for breakfast one day as a child. it's a great memory.

carlo said...

Seriously, you are so cool Barb!

I am impressed and in awe...I need to tackle food planning, too!

Not sure I could come up with the meals you came up with but I love it when I think I have nothing and then can actually pull out a meal.

Awesome!

Amy said...

Love this! I am so not good at making up food from nada. I have to plan & shop & be prepared for dinner to come out decent. Jim can just throw things together beautifully but that happens far less often than I'd like!

Sandi said...

What a fantastic skill. One I do not have. I am a recipe person. Maybe I need to take a class on cooking on the fly. Thanks for sharing

Price Cream Parlor said...

We have Taco Tuesdays at our home -but other than that - I try to meal plan for two weeks at a time. THAT is tough at times. Fun to create such great meals with limited ingredients! Awesome!

Lucy said...

I'm impressed with your meal. Great idea.

I loved your SPT.

Elizabeth said...

A great way to start the school year. I have always wanted to be a menu planner but I have not pulled it off yet.
I am very impressed with your creative cooking.

Anonymous said...

I don't really enjoy cooking all that much. But find my self better at it when every one is in school. I like all the reciepes I use to be quick easy and healthy. I also usally cook something Like chilli or spegetti so it last 2 day's. That way I don't have to cook one day a week.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a meal! I, too, am impressed at your use of mint. Can't wait to hear what else you're cooking :)

Emily said...

Funny what the routine of school does to us. I too made a big Costco trip and a menu plan. I am not good at flying by the seat of my pants for meals so if dinner is not going to be pancakes I need to know the plan in the morning. It's been so nice this week, let's hope I keep it up!