Saturday 1 September 2007

Fifty million years ago
They walked upon the planet so
They live in a museum
It's the only place you'll see 'em.
.
The Police: Walking in Your Footsteps

.


On Saturday I went with my sisters-in-law on Ken's side and all of our children (except the man-child, my 16 year old nephew) to the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller.

?

I snapped only one quick picture of the kids together before we entered the museum, and I should have taken the time to make sure everyone was looking. There are 11 kids grouped together here, but one of them is easy to miss - he's hiding behind Steven and facing away from the camera.

.

The museum has been updated since the last time I was there and I love the new gallery. They've taken the most valuable and scientifically significant specimens and put them behind windows that are framed with gilded frames as though the exhibits in the gallery room are fine art. This dinosaur is in what's called the 'death pose'. After death the ligaments dried and contracted thereby pulling the head and neck back on the body.

.

In addition to the preparation lab that can be viewed through windows, there was a paleontology technician working on a fossil out in one of the halls. He was totally approachable and ready to answer questions. The fossil he's working on here is a turtle shell.

.

The giant sponge fossil became much more fascinating after I told Carmen it was Sponge Bob's great-great-grandfather.

.

T-Rex Chloe

Steven kept teasing me with quick pseudo-dinosaur motions that he knew I wouldn't be able to catch with my camera. I actually got one picture snapped, but I only caught his forearm, so he won that session of camera hide and seek.

.

My sister-in-law, Christy, thought this sign was amusing and pointed it out to me. Was she calling me a Camerasaurus?
.

This was so funny. We were up on a hill above the museum and I asked Steven to pose with the view finder, and when he stepped up to it he managed to hit himself in the eye. He backed off and was saying 'Ow, ow, I can't believe I did that! . . . take a picture.'

'

The picture I was trying for.
.

There's this fun scale inside the museum that tells you what animal you match in weight. The platform is big enough for a small group, so the kids all got on and together they weighed as much as a male lion.


Then Christy, Natalie, Stephanie, and I got on (we made sure we all stepped on together) and we were the same as the kids!




We came home and found the men and the man-child as we had left them: roofing Christy's old house that she's got up for sale.

Christy, I don't imagine I have to suggest this to a saver like you, but tell me you're hanging onto the extra tar paper!

.

13 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I love your reference to the man-child!

We just finished reroofing our house and I was sooooo disappointed we didn't need to use tar paper...you gave us such ideas of what to do with it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Steven has warmed up to the camera in the past year. Love the "ow ow ow" shot!

This looks fabulous. We'll have to do that one of these years when we're up there.

Marie said...

To my favourite Camerasaurus: Please do not introduce that term to my husband, my father-in-law, or our father!

It looks like a great trip. I want to take the kids sometime, but just never get to it!

Marie said...

PS: I love your profile picture! Another thing I have been meaning to do...

Ortensia Norton said...

What an awesome day! Just like the olden days when they built barns, only you got to play instead of bake pies and make food:-) So fun to be all together!
I just got the camerasaurus joke!!!!!!

jenny said...

I am glad that the moms and kids were the same weight :)

Never heard of a Camurosaurus. Interesting.

Michelle Alley said...

Barb, what a fun time. I just love these dinosaur museums. All the pics are so cute. The terrain outside was not what I invisioned your area to be like, less trees than I thought - or you're a lot higher up than I would have guessed. Anyway, fun time Barb!

Barb said...

Michelle: the dinosaur museum isn't in Calgary, it's 1 1/2 hours drive north east of Calgary in the badlands.

Sandi said...

What a great event. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

What a great museum. We've taken my husband's boys to the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman, Montana. It has a great dinosaur exhibit with a window to watch the folks actually working, too. Very fun. I loved the part about Sponge Bob's ancestors! Too funny.

Price Cream Parlor said...

Man child?! That is so funny! Looks like a fun day! Gotta love those dinos!

Elizabeth said...

Your profile shot is great. That's something I miss here, a good dinosaur museum.

Amy said...

I love museums, and am glad you are such a "camerasaurus" (for our viewing pleasure).