Friday 2 March 2007

Free at last

Well, it had to be done. The trunk door couldn't go unused forever. A trip to Costco sprung my Value Village treasures. I'm not a gifted thrift store shopper; when it comes to treasure hunting I'm more of a Winners girl (that's T.J. Maxx to most of you), but here's my latest second hand purchases:


This suede jacket fits me like a glove (can't move if I snap it up), and goes great with a skirt I have. The down side: not a good choice for warmth. The up side: $12.



Chloe and I have good times with this Madeline game because I let her win. Carmen and Chloe have a little less fun because it gets competative. The little Madeline playing pieces are adorable.


These hand stitched funky pictures (about 11" x 14") are still hidden away, so my resident readers - husband and oldest daughter, Jaclyn - are going to see these on my blog before they see them in real life. I have big plans for these, and I'll post when I've pulled it all together.

Sadly, the picture just doesn't do my mint condition vintage purse justice at all. I have the perfect dress to go with this purse (from Winners). I don't normally transfer all my purse contents from bag to bag to match my outfit, but in this case I'll make an exception.

There was one thing I passed up and I'm regretting it big time. I saw this old wooden bread box that was so cool, but I don't want more stuff on my kitchen counter, so I passed. Now I know what I would have done with it: I would have made it into a charging station for our cordless electronic gadgets, and kept it on the telephone desk. I saw my inspiration for this idea in Blueprint magazine long ago, but I didn't think of it as I was standing in the store. Most unfortunate.

9 comments:

everything pink! said...

those handstiched prints.. oh my! i wish i could touch and see closer.
come to the blog party in july and bring them!!!

and you better believe i am hunting for a bread box.

thanks for sharing your treasures. i am glad i am not the only one who loves to document good finds

Ortensia Norton said...

You are more like Silvana than I realized. She is ALL into vintage, but as so late, chinese vintage. I can't wait to see how it all fits into your house. I expect to see the great dress with purse at the baptism.

Kelly said...

Wow - great finds. You and Kristi really know how to do this. I am kind of freaked out by the whole process. But, I have to find Brynlee a Lady in Waiting costume, and I'm thinking this is my best bet.

annalisa said...

I love the jacket. And I love great finds. Score.

Amy said...

I love the handstitched prints and am excited to see what you do with them.

Unfortunately, I have little patience for thrift shopping. Or perhaps, I just have two constant companions...they will go to school some day and leave me alone, right?

Mandy said...

Great finds. I am not much of a thrift shopper, but can appreciate what you found. The prints are very pretty!

Unknown said...

cute stuff!! we don't have great thrift around here - although, i did pass up a huge church yard sale this past weekend. hope i didn't miss anything (like a bread box!!)

Jill said...

Yet another Value Village score! You guys are making me jealous. I'm awful at searching through stores like that (except for books) so I have never had any good luck. Your stuff looks great. You'll have to model your jacket for us to see.

Mandy said...

Barb, thanks so much for the cute bunny template. You made my day!