Tuesday 6 March 2007

Mirror Image


I had fun trying to take my picture in the mirror once I figured out I needed to turn off the flash! The mirror I worked with hangs in my front entrance, and the room behind me is the living room.

So here was the task:

O.K. something someone has noticed about me recently. First, just let me say something about working with young women from church. They really know how to pay a compliment - especially the 16 and 17 year olds. So this has been really great for my self image - for instance:

"I like your skirt, Sister Leader (only one YW calls me that)."

"I like how you did your hair today." (on the same day a member of the Bishopric made some reference to my Amish hair - it was in a bun)

"That is such a cool ring."

And the one that I thought of when I looked at my mirror image:

"Your eyes are so green." My driver's licence says they're blue, but one day when I was sitting in a personal progress interview with one of my laurels, she thought they looked green. I was wearing green that day, just like I am in my self portrait. I see it, now. They do look a little more green when I'm wearing that color.

16 comments:

Emily said...

I love this picture. You look beautiful and I really like how "soft" it looks.

Amy said...

So cute...and I agree with Emily on the "soft" comment. I haven't attempted mine yet...a bit mirror & camera shy. Yours is beautiful.

Anne said...

I really like this picture, I echo everything that Emily and Amy said. And what a beautiful home you have!

Unknown said...

this photo captures a beautiful moment. i love that this mirror has such a beautiful frame, and that your image is so clear, while the background is almost dreamy.

Mandy said...

You do look really beautiful. I really want to see your house! Your living room looks great!

Crystalyn said...

what an incredible picture! you look so fresh and happy. how fun to find something new about yourself. beautiful.

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful picture. I also love how soft it is, and while you see the beautiful room in the background, the focus is you. It's just right.

everything pink! said...

ok when i was in YW i came in one night and had just got my hair cut and they all said,

"what did you do to your hair, it looks horrible"
they were right it did look horrible!

Barb said...

Neighbor Jane Payne said:

Hey Barb--

I got the darling rabbits and pattern in the mail....THANK YOU! I love them. They're up and I can't wait to use them in class and send the pattern to my nieces and nephews. Thanks. I also loved the monkey. What a cute signature.

I can't post on your blog because I don't have a google account, but I wanted you to know how much I enjoy your blog...and, I LOVE your picture today. It is beautiful! It captures so much and it was so fun to put your face with a name. Your eyes are so alive.

Ok...time to shower and head to seminary, I just wanted to thank you and let you know how much I enjoy your blog on a daily basis and your picture today.

Love,
Jane

Mandy said...

Hi Barb! I just wanted to thank you for the cute bunny template. I thanked you on my blog, but realized I didn't follow through and thank you on yours. Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

I love that you surround yourself with beauty. I also love that you captured a glimpse of yourself amongst it all. :)

Price Cream Parlor said...

This is a great photo - fun to see your home in the background. Yes, the YW are fun because they are so quick and honest!

annalisa said...

Cool pic. Your eyes do kind of look green. What no comments about your incredible straight teeth? I'd be smiling all the time to show of pretty teeth like yours :).

Ortensia Norton said...

That's a great picture! I was wondering why your house was backwards but mark figured it out for me. Young women are so great.

The book isn't mine, but I can probably bring it.

Annalisa's comment about teeth cracks me up! one b/c you are a hygentist but 2 b/c Mark told a reason to marry him was b/c of the straight teeth he had. Guess it's genetic!

Kelly said...

RGLHM! I am laughing about Barb's house being backwards. All day I have been trying to figure out where she is standing for that view to be in the background -- aaah, the mirror! Mark to the rescue.

Angie said...

Beautiful picture. It is so clear and soft, and the background looks frosty. Really cool. Love your eye color. My eyes change too with what color I'm wearing.