Wednesday 7 March 2007

Street secrets

Here we go again. The catch drain for our street is right at the corner of our driveway, and four out of six of the years that we've lived here the catch drain has clogged and our street has flooded. We could see the water rising when we looked down the grate on Saturday, and we called the city right away. They still haven't come to fix the drain and our street is flooding. The kids think it's fun; the grown ups think it's a pain.
Yesterday my newest neighbor tried to pull into her driveway and she got stuck in the deepest part of the rising icy water. She had to get out of her car and wade the rest of the way to her house. She didn't have on rubber boots, and she was mad. I'm positive my old neighbors didn't share this street secret when they sold the house.
Today is going to be a warm one. If the drain hasn't cleared by after school it's going to be a lot of fun for the 25 kids on my street.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

That's awful about your street and frustrating! I would be quite grumpy I am sure! I hope the city comes to help soon.

Kelly said...

I don't think I would have thought to tell a new buyer this information in the summer, but as the buyer it's definitely a warning you wish you had. That sounds insanely cold to me to wade through that to get into your house. Shiver!

Emily said...

My kids would be having a hayday in their rubber boots! Cute house!

Elizabeth said...

Your blog is great. I love the header very cute. And your self portrait Tuesday post is great.
Oh and I love your thrift store finds.
(can you tell I like your blog?:))

Crystalyn said...

i would be frustrated!!!

thank you for the good mail. my little hanna is heaven with her "bunnies."