Friday 16 February 2007

A few words before I go . . .

Hopefully we're leaving tomorrow for a family ski holiday. I say hopefully, because it looks like our youngest child is sick, which means we'll have to delay the trip by a day or two, or just the big kids and dad will go skiing, while I stay home with the sickie. We're waiting to see how she feels in the morning.

We had New Beginnings this week. I definitely feel that the middle of February is late in the year for New Beginnings. We probably should have done it in January, but I felt like we'd just barely put on YW in Excellence, and I wasn't ready for another YW event yet in January. Anyhow, I have a laurel who was finished all her personal progress except for her Good Works project. She told me the project was a surprise for me, and that she would give it to me at New Beginnings, which was so sweet. Right up there with a CTR 5 child giving her primary teacher a picture she made during sacrament meeting. This YW had obviously consulted with the YW secretary, because the presentation was printed up right into the program. She made me a book of quotes on service. It was so perfect, and so her. This girl has a quote for every subject we discuss in class. Her bedroom is practically wallpapered with quotes. She also wrote her testimony in the back of the book. And I thought I'd miss primary.




There's been an unexpected upside to the dishwasher breaking down and my choice to turn to disposable dishes: the kids' jokes have improved tremendously. You know how little kids try to tell jokes, but they just aren't funny. Well, no more. When I bought dixie cups I was really just trying to buy something that all the kids would use, which meant no disney princess, winnie the pooh, or anything else that might offend a 10 year old boy. The joke cups were the only other option.

So why is it dangerous to do math in the jungle? Because when you add 4 and 4 you get ate.



I have a couple of Value Village treasures trapped in the trunk of my minivan. The van is 9 years old, and certain functions are starting to go. The remote for the locks doesn't work every time on every door. In fact, the interior buttons for the locks don't always work. Another problem with the van is that quite often it won't register that the trunk door is closed. When this happens the wiper on the back window won't work, which means with the sloppy roads we've had around here, I have to stop frequently at a gas station just to clean my back window. I just came out of a long stretch of the rear door tricking the van into believing it was ajar. I was so pleased when after a trip to Value Village the rear door registered closed, and the wiper started working again. That was 11 days ago. I haven't opened the trunk since I left the store that day - I'm too afraid the next time I open and close that door I'll be back to a rear wiper that doesn't work. Good thing we're taking Ken's truck on our trip, not my minivan.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hope you all still get to go on the ski trip. Too bad she can't just come hang out with our sick crew.

The quote book was amazing, and made me get teary thinking about it. I don't know how you stood it while she presented it to you. Wow.

For some reason it seems shocking that your van is 9 years old. I remember when you got it, so it seems crazy that it could have been that long. I wouldn't open the trunk either -- it looks like you definitely need those wipers!

Mandy said...

I really hope you get to go on your ski trip. It would be great if you could all be together. Good luck!

annalisa said...

What a thoughtful girl. I'm sure that melted your heart. I'm afraid you are going to have trouble getting your kids off teh joke cups and back to washable dishes! Have a fun ski weekend.

everything pink! said...

wait... but what are the Value Village treasures???

i am telling you once you are in YW it is life changing. so great, thanks for writing about that.

Crystalyn said...

sorry you missed the trip.

what a special book! i would have been overcome with emotion. beautiful.

Ortensia Norton said...

Our car looks the exact same.

I loved young womens so much. I'm sorry it ended after 8 months b/c we moved.

Sorry your still at home, but I expect you might be enjoying the semi solitude.

Jill said...

That YW project is so sweet, what a nice gift to receive as her leader. I think serving in Young Womens is a very time intensive and tough calling, but you're molding great women and that's a huge honor and responsibility.

Your van woes are amusing from this end, though I totally know your pain. Our old Honda Accord (which is now retired) had a back window that wouldn't close all the way, and even that tiniest opening was awful during the winter. Nothing like sitting in the backseat getting snow or rain in your face!