Tuesday 8 April 2008

SPT


.

They say hindsight is 20/20, so I imagine I'd see things more clearly. I try to use future hindsight when making decisions. Will I regret doing ____ ? Will I regret not doing ____ ? I'll be sorry if I don't _____ !

I used future hindsight this morning when I was feeling lazy. I told myself I'd be sorry if I didn't get out on a run on this beautiful day! I sucked it up and went out, and of course I'm very glad I did.

What else would I see?

I think I'd see my big kids rolling their eyes at me. Not Jaclyn so much any more. I amuse more than embarrass her now. But Steven. Steven. He has a new word for when I suggest something he considers to be lame. "Erg". And if I have my back turned there might be some eye rolling to go with it. Nice to know with child #2 that he'll grow out of it.

One more thing:

I'd see fewer children in the backseat of my car.

It was quite an adjustment for me when Jaclyn grew to be big enough to sit in the front passenger seat. For years the front passenger had been my command center. A place to keep my purse, my day planner, and items required for the errands of the day. When Jaclyn moved in I lost my command center, but I gained more conversation with her.

If I'd had eyes in the back of my head at that time I would have noticed Steven paying close attention to Jaclyn's promotion to the front seat and mentally noting her exact age, because when he got close to turning 11 years old he started calling "Shotgun!" This winter the heated front seats have only heated the competition between Jaclyn and Steven for the front seat, but I'm sure that rivalry will cool a little with our warming weather.

Another feature of the new van is that the passenger seat is weight sensitive and will turn off the airbag for a smaller person. Carmen believes this technology was built for her and she's trying to get some front seat time of her own, but she only challenges her rights to the front seat in the absence of her big brother and sister; she's not quite ready to take them on yet.

26 comments:

Michelle Alley said...

It will be an interesting day when the girls start fighting over the front seat - so strange to me! Your SPT was very clever and I love that photo!

Tiffany said...

Cute eyes on the back of your head! So true about being able to see the results of our actions...

Kids are sure smart--nothing gets past them!

Becky said...

OK...1)your photo is awesome! and 2) I kept re-reading the part about your kids' ages because I swear (based on your SPT photos) you are NOT old enough to have children that old!

Of course, then I realized that my oldest is only 4 years away from being 11...and I'm not old enough to have children that age either :)

Loved this SPT, Barb.

Unknown said...

i totally guessed what your photo would be!!

love the comments about the front seat companions. i hadn't ever thought about that. but the day will soon come when i will miss my view of jack in my rear view mirror!

Courtney said...

I love the eyes on the back of your head...very creative!

My eldest son (10) is occasionally taking over my command center in the front seat...it's hard to give that up, but nice to know that the conversation may be more valuable!

cute post - my blog is private, but send me your email and I'll permission you on courtneymilius@hotmail.com!

jenny said...

Barb you SPT is just awesome!! And I too can relate (I have two that fight over the front as well)

Alisa said...

I love this- it made me laugh!
The photo and the things you wrote!
Funny to think about my kids jumping for the front seat- and thinking of losing my "command central!"
Very well put!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a great post, Barb! I loved the details and capturing of the memory of getting the front seat. Stories like this don't often make it into family histories and yet they're such a real part of it. You captured what's going on in several levels.

Laurie said...

Very insightful! I've lost my command center recently too. But then the 5 year old cries to have a companion in the back with her, so sometimes I can reclaim my extra seat.

Anonymous said...

Love the picture, and that you are having a nice enough day to get out for a run!

Avery totally makes mental notes of what age Brynlee gets to do certain things. I have a "no front seat until you're 12" rule, and just 7 more months until my command center will be taken over. Brynlee was mad when Moby died the great death because the second row had heated seats, too. Poor poor child.

nic said...

That was a really fun post to read, Barb! I am in total agreement about the command center. It is such a loss. Both my older boys are big enough for the front seat, so there is CONSTANTLY someone there, and almost always a fight for who that someone gets to be (thank heaven for the table console between the seats!)..... however, I have to agree, the loss of the command center has given rise to some great conversations that most likely wouldn't have happened.

Anyway, good read!

Bren's Life said...

Great post! My oldest is 10 yrs old & at times he rides in front & his 7 yr old brother literally sits & counts how many more yrs it will be for him aloud & asks questions on what else he will be able to do..
Kids are so funny!

Marie said...

I totally counted the years that you were allowed to do something and demanded equal treatment. I was so mad when I found out you had a later bedtime. Jealousy!

Ortensia Norton said...

I told Mille the other day that I got my ears pierced when I was 10. The next day she told Mark that she was getting hers done when she was 10. Then I found a picture of me at 8 and I had pierced ears. I really can't believe your kids are getting so old! So normal and yet so strange.

Anonymous said...

ok, I put almost the same picture up on my SPT! Funny! Great minds think alike

Amanda said...

Best photo. So funny!

We had heated front seats once...ahh, so nice. I can't imagine losing my command center. That seat is for my purse, library books, snacks, papers from school, the works! Think of it as your kids competing to sit by you! I do like to think of having nice conversations though with kids up there.

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh man, i am not even there yet! but something to look forward too!.....hehehehheh

michelle said...

You always have the best spt photos, Barb! I love it. My rule is no kids in the front seat until they turn 13, because that's what the warning on the passenger side visor says. Max will be 13 in 2 1/2 months! I hope we have more conversations as a result. Lucas will have to wait for 4 more years to start fighting him for the shotgun seat, ha! (oh, and I'm relieved to know that the kids get past rolling their eyes at you...)

Elizabeth said...

Leina already counts down how many years she has left till she can ride up there.
I agree you have great sp's.

Jill said...

You are officially the SPT genius! You always have such great photos and words to go with them!

Katie A. said...

Good for you for running. I battle with myself on those types of days. I know I should, but...

Ah, the magic of the front seat. That's too funny!

Tilane said...

That was a great spt. Very creative! I didn't do one this week. We are working on an adoption application, so everything else is on the back burner.

Anonymous said...

i started calling shotgun last week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

wow Steven.
btw, i think you've been calling shotgun for a year.

Amy said...

I can't begin to imagine a child in the front seat. Seriously. You're coming of age in this whole mothering thing, for sure.

LOVE your photo!

annalisa said...

I love it! Your spts are always so clever. And your kids with their comments are cracking me up :).