Monday 21 April 2008

52 Blessings

When Jaclyn and I parked across the street at the Drop In Centre last week we walked right past this burning port-a-potty. I pulled out my cell phone to call it in, but before I could dial 911 the firetrucks arrived. So instead I snapped a quick photo with my phone - it's just not something you see every day. (Many jokes made later in the Centre about the fuel feeding that fire yadda yadda yadda.)
/
What I'm grateful for this week is back up. These firefighters have each others backs, and like them we all need that once in awhile.
Here's where I'm going with this one:
I'm a mom who can make the tough decisions and stick with them. Generally those decisions leave me feeling confident and proud of myself, but also lonely.
Today I found out about another mom who is sticking to her standards on something, a standard I share with her, a standard I often feel lonely on, and you better believe I called her up to tell her I appreciate her. It's nice to be backed up. For both of us.

9 comments:

Price Cream Parlor said...

OH! Having some backup makes life so much sweeter! I am sure that this Mom appreciated YOUR phone call to her!
Interesting place for a fire....

Courtney said...

Stick to your guns...there is always someone there who has your back...even if you can't see them!

Anonymous said...

Being backed up is definitely a noteworthy blessing. It's nice to not feel lonely in your standards.

I wonder how a fire like that starts? Not something I want to spend too much time pondering, though.

Marie said...

If only Jerry Seinfeld had witnessed a burning port-a-potty, you know it would have made a great Seinfeld episode. Somehow it was a George mishap in my mind. Kramer trys to put the fire out on his own, Elaine has to bail them out of jail....it would have been great.

I'm interested what standard it is that you feel lonely on.

Amanda said...

Good for you. Right now my daughter is the only LDS child in her elementary school...and I see this happening a lot in our future. So glad you called the other mom. It probably made her whole month!

Katie A. said...

Interesting situation, burning port-a-potty. I can imagine the jokes! I agree that back up is a blessing and a comfort.

Your "What Was I Thinking" made me laugh! I'm glad that was the worst you could come up with. I recently circled a day on our calendar...I remember assuring Mike that the circle was good enough, no additional note required, there was no way I would forget why I had circled that day. Yeah, I can't remember.

Unknown said...

i always appreciate backup. especially when it might come from unexpected places. i bet your phone call made a tremendous impact.

April said...

I am grateful for firefighters, porta-potties when I'm desperate, and especially BACK-UP. Well said.

michelle said...

I love this post! Back-up. What a great blessing.