Saturday 9 February 2008

So what's Jaclyn into?

A couple of weeks ago I went to lunch with a friend of mine who lives on the other side of the city. She told me she's been enjoying my blog, which I didn't know because um, no comments. It was fun as we chatted and I told her that Chloe didn't like ballet (she interjected: "Much to Ken's relief") and so on. Then she asked, "So what's Jaclyn into, or are 14 year old's into anything?" And I realized I haven't blogged about Jaclyn much. She doesn't do things that are *cute* or if she does, I'm certainly not going to blog about it. She's one of my most faithful lurkers.
For the most part Jaclyn continues to press forward exactly as those who know her can imagine. Once in awhile she surprises someone like her uncle who returned one of Ken's books, Titan, which Jaclyn immediately picked up to read. That surprised her uncle a little, even knowing the way she reads. The way I explain her appetite for learning is that she has her dad's breadth and my depth. Ken has broad interests - he knows a little about a lot of things. Jaclyn has his curiosity. I know a lot about just a few things. Jaclyn has my desire for mastery. Not that I'm completely uninterested in the world around me, or that Ken is Jack of all trades/master of none. But Jaclyn has Ken's breadth and my depth.
So besides continuing to consume information and file it away efficiently for retrieval, what is Jaclyn into?
Jaclyn is into piano. She is both studying it herself and teaching it. She's preparing for the Kiwanis Music Festival in March. She will play in a recital class (3 pieces of music): Nocturne in e- Opus post. 72 #1 by Chopin, the first arabesque of Deux Arabesques by Debussy, and Sonata Pathetique by Beethoven. She's not writing a piano exam this year, but she is writing a music history exam with the RCM. I recently ordered an official copy of her RCM transcript so that next year when she is in high school she will be awarded 15 credits in music without taking any high school music classes. Not taking band in high school has been a difficult decision for her because she loves playing the flute and the piccolo. But academically, she isn't challenged at her grade level - she finished 12th grade music theory through the RCM a year ago. Ken and Jaclyn simultaneously and separately came up with the solution: buy a flute, continue to play it, enjoy, but give up band.
Giving up band is a good choice because it frees Jaclyn up to take two languages in high school. Jaclyn has been studying French for 5 years. She wants to continue to take French in high school, but she is also interested in studying Spanish. No band, no problem. It will also be easier to fit in two languages since she is going to go straight to French 30 (12th grade level). Her teacher is confident Jaclyn can handle it. Most students from our jr. high skip 10th grade French, Jaclyn will just skip 10th and 11th grade. That's the plan for now, anyhow.
So planning for high school has been a big thing lately.
Currently at school Jaclyn is taking Outdoor Ed. They're doing rock climbing and she's really enjoying it. She wants to register in some rock climbing classes privately when she's done climbing at school.
Tonight was teen night at the YMCA, and Jaclyn went with her locker mate, Maddie. They met up with 3 boys from school (I was diligent in ensuring it was not boy/girl group date even numbers before she left). They swam, played games in the rec. room, shot hoops, walked across the street to Tim Hortons. Jaclyn is into having a social life, but I am still into her babysitting on Friday nights. We'll have to work out some kind of balance.
Jaclyn is into hair, makeup, clothes. I'm sure she wishes I was more into that stuff too, because she might have more of it if I shared the passion (and my money to feed the passion).
She finally learned how to peel a banana :-)
She's very into her ipod. It's loaded up with Mika, Green Day, The Fray, 'random' songs. Random is her word.
I almost forgot. Jaclyn is in the school play again, but something more lighthearted than last year, thank goodness. If you can call The Legend of Sleepy Hollow lighthearted. I think you can.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just clicked on your name at Ree's.
Your blog title gives me a smile...first thought: 10 little monkeys jumpin' on the bed...
"Legend of Sleepy Hollow"...loved that story. Read it in "junior high." Wasn't the guy's name Icabod Crane? Will be back when I'm back to blogging at home.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

OH MY GOODNESS! What fun to read about a young woman who stretches herself like this. It's tricky writing about older kids and I'm glad you found a way to do it.

I loved this line: "The way I explain her appetite for learning is that she has her dad's breadth and my depth." What a gift you've both given her.

Thanks for inspiring me Jaclyn via Barb!

Mandy said...

Jaclyn sounds like such a great girl! So talented!

carlo said...

wow. the teenage years are knocking on my door soon enough so it was a delight (and relief!) to read about such a cool and talented and dedicated young woman. (what could i expect with you as her mother though!!)

amazing, the work with RCM. i clicked over to see what it is all about-- impressive!

i do have a confession. i read RCM and it automatically made me think Red Carper Massacre. (DuranDuran's newest cd. hate the title but the cd is Awesome. Yes, I am biased. I admit that...)

michelle said...

Boy, with her dad's breadth and your depth, it sounds like she's a dynamo! So accomplished at a young age, very impressive.

Michelle Alley said...

What pieces will she be playing?! I am so excited for her, and glad that this is such a gift she has - and that she works at it! This was a really special post Barb - take care and thanks for sharing~

Marie said...

Jaclyn is so beyond gifted in so many ways. So she will be taking two languages, and skip two years of French class, and have 15 credits in music before she even walks through the door. Crazy, but totally Jaclyn.

melanie said...

What a great post for your 'faithful lurker'! Such a gift to have it so put together at 14. Way to go Jaclyn! And Barb and Keith for giving her gifts of depth and breadth.

Anonymous said...

This was fun to read about Jaclyn. She's amazing, and I can't think of a better girl that I'd want my girls to emulate. And, she has good taste in music!

Kelly said...

Just awesome and such a delight to read about stable, high achieving young women. She sounds like a treasure, you are very lucky.

Tiffany said...

What an amazing daughter and what wonderful opportunities she has had and has before her! Wow!

Amy said...

I read how wonderful Jaclyn is and it just makes me think that you are a wonderful mother. You've taught her she can do anything, so she believes it. I LOVE that.

jenny said...

She definitely sounds like a well balanced rounded young lady. How cool she is writing a RCM. Impressive! I can only imagine how proud you and Keith are of her :)

Elizabeth said...

Wow, you will have a highschooler soon. She seems like such an amazing young lady.

The Monkeys said...

How in the world do you do all this with 4 kids? We just have two in school and sports and we are thinkinig we will have to give up one sport now that soccer is starting. You are amazing!

Lucy said...

How delightful to discover Jaclyn through you. I have to admit that I find myself re-telling or whining about Henry's latest antics, but it doesn't mean my older children are any less fascinating.

She sounds like an incredible girl, and a reader to boot! Now we're talking:)

April said...

I think Jaclyn would even meet Mr. Darcy's stringent definition of "an accomplished young woman."