Friday 18 January 2008

This week's funnies

.....
.
Chloe spent her tooth fairy money on Tuesday. She carefully looked through the Dollar $tore, and chose a plain spiral notebook and a package of two pens. It seems that all Chloe does these days is write and write and write. Carmen evaluated Chloe's purchase and said under her breath, just for me: (not to hurt Chloe's feelings that she had bought something dumb)
"I would have bought a whoopee cushion and a pack of gum."
.
*
..

.Last winter Steven took snowboarding lessons, and this year for Christmas he got his own snowboard and boots. He feels a little lonely out on the slopes with the rest of the family because we're all skiers, so I decided to take snowboard lessons this winter so that he and I could snowboard together. Well, I had my first lesson on Monday morning. I signed up for this women's only program at COP that runs for 4 weeks. At my lesson all the other ladies were on skis - which meant that as the only snowboarder I got a private lesson for group lesson prices! You can't beat the private lesson for quick progress, and although I am boarding at a very slow beginner pace, I can already use both my front and back edges and I can make turns. I was so excited and proud of myself! After Steven was home from school and I told him how much I'd learned on my first day he said,
"Aw, how many more of these lessons are you going to have???"
(I don't think he wants his mom to show him up)

14 comments:

carlo said...

between you and andrea, i am feeling pretty winter-sportless.

cass and i used to ice skate at least once a week when she was in privates but now, not so much...

dang. i am inspired!!!!! picture next time?!?

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

That is purely inspirational Barb that you would snowboard so you could be with Steven on the slopes! What a mom.

Marie said...

Where is the picture of you snowboarding? I must see.

Ortensia Norton said...

Ah, that's my Carmen. Same type of humour.

Good for you for snow boarding! You're a great mom for learning.

Barb said...

I am not balanced enough on my board to do a self portrait yet! But I am thinking I'll ask my teacher to get some pictures of me one of these weeks.

Price Cream Parlor said...

I LOVE THIS!!! Yahoo for you! I think that this is fantastic, Barb! I am sure that it will be so fun to board with your little man! He will think you are too cool to try something like this! I have to say - taking a lesson is the best idea! WAY TO GO!

Kelly said...

The snowboarding is truly awesome. And for the coolest reason!

I would have bought pens and paper too.

Denise said...

Never underestimate the entertainment value of a whoopee cushion.

A mom who will learn to snowboard with her kids is the coolest. Mom. Ever!

Mandy said...

Carmen's comment was hilarious to me. A whoopie cushion and a pack of gum is certainly a purchase we would have made as children too!

Good luck with the lessons.

jenny said...

I totally benefited from the private lessons. Mine were a little steep but I am sure I learned much faster. 4 weeks of lessons, you are going to be a pro girl!

Anonymous said...

How neat to be learning something new. What a great deal!

My girls would have bought the same thing, a pen and paper! I have a bunch of creative writers.

April said...

I want to be just like you when I grow up.

First swim lessons, now snowboarding...you are amazingly adventurous!

melanie said...

Very cool to get private lessons for group prices. I'm not sure if I'd be brave enough to snowboard. You are one cool mom no matter what Steven says (I think he'll love it once he sees your moves!)

michelle said...

What a cool mom you are! Seriously. And hey, I'd like a report on your swim lessons. I think it's awesome that Chloe likes to write so much.