Tuesday 22 January 2008

Self Portrait Tuesday


In our house there is a running monkey joke I'm not sure I can even explain. If Carmen asks, "What's for after school snack?" and Steven beats me to the answer he'll say, "Monkey brains." Like that. Ken started the monkey joke, and to be honest I don't completely connect with it, but the kids sure do. Yet I used it in my blog title, go figure. I don't sweat this kind of stuff, so when the name popped into my head I just went with it.
My URL has a longer story.
.

Here I am with my four little monkeys - it is so difficult to get a good group self portrait shot.

It so happens that today's self portrait challenge gives me the perfect opportunity to blog about the anniversary present Ken gave me back in December. I never did get around to posting about our anniversary, it was one of those events that didn't get blogged immediately, therefore didn't get recorded at all. But I do have a funny story from that day (December 27th, 2007, our 17th anniversary). We were sitting in the trailer on Ken's parents' land eating Subway with the kids when Jaclyn wished us a happy anniversary. Chloe said incredulously, "It's your anniversary??? I thought on anniversaries moms and dads got dressed up fancy and went dancing!" Ken told her that's just the first anniversary. Later that night Ken's parents arrived with a Dairy Queen ice cream cake singing 'Happy Anniversary' for us, which made the evening much more festive and special, much to Chloe's approval.

Back to the gift. Ken's sister tipped him off on this great gift idea for me: an XShot self portrait extender.

.

I think this XShot is going to be super for group pictures, but on my first try I didn't have the angle right - obviously you don't want to see the pole.
..

The kids didn't hang around while I fine tuned my technique, but I think I've got it now.

Blast!!! Ken just gave me the best idea for this post, and all the kids are in bed. I don't know if they'll be good enough sports for a retake tomorrow, but I will try to persuade them.
.

23 comments:

melanie said...

The monkey joke is funny. My mom always says stuff like that when she's cooking for the kids. They crack up every time.

The SP pole is hilarious and your options are endless now. Great tip from your SIL. I hope the kids cooperate tomorrow.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I remember reading the story of your url and taking a quote from it because I thought it was so profound.

A pole adds a whole new level to SPT! Can't wait to see if the kids will let you take the shot...please beg them.

Kelly said...

The pole! What a great invention, I can't wait to see what you come up with because you always rock the SPT even without a pole!

Whenever someone asks what's to eat around here I always tell them "Something you'll hate." Good thing I didn't develop my blog title around that.

carlo said...

oh my goodness. i had no idea there was such a thing.

wow, that is awesome.

here is something strange-- i think i remember the subway story? nutty or did you blog a blurb about it, at least? :)

Jill said...

It's great you got the kids in on this self-portrait. The pole is cracking me up. I've never heard of such a thing.

Emmanuelle said...

I like your home joke with your monkey :-)
The pole, what a great invention !

Becky said...

Barb, I have always loved your blog title and your header. The pic of you with your kids is cute. And the anniversary story is too funny :)

The pole is awesome!! Now I know what's going on my wish list...

Unknown said...

oh, man. your self-portraits were always so good to begin with. now you are seriously going to up the challenge to me!

mmmm....monkey brains...

Marie said...

I am not surprised by your low-key anniversary. I remember one year at the cabin we were sitting around and I wished you guys a happy anniversary, and you looked at each other and went. "Oh, yeah. Right. Happy Anniversary, Honey."

Poor disallusioned Chloe.

Holly said...

Your monkey theme is so funny, and it's perfect how you knew right away and went with it.

That extender thing is too cool. I was giggling because, um...yeah, you don't want to see the pole. This will proabably take your SPs to a whole other level!!

Denise said...

Holy brilliance batman! That self-portrait pole is fantastic. And I love the idea of being present, and not just monkeying around. A valuable reminder!

Anonymous said...

Chloe's comment cracked me up. We are rather casual about our anniversary, too.

Your SPT with the extender pole about sent me over the edge. So funny! That is a most hilarious gift, but he knows you well. (or Christie does).

michelle said...

Shut up! I have never heard of such a thing! A self-portrait extender. I need it, I need it! My arms are so short, I am seriously sp challenged. Your anniversaries sound like most of ours, we had a baby on our anniversary and now he always seems to take precedence.

Elizabeth said...

What a great present! I have always loved your name. ANd your banner is hands down the coolest.

Mandy said...

That is such a great gift! Cute picture of you and your kids!

Ortensia Norton said...

that is the most brilliant gift for SPT. I am making bets that many other SPTers will be buying one soon.

Ortensia Norton said...

PS I love Ken's answer to Chloe. So true!!

jenny said...

What a cool gift. The pole is cracking me up. This makes you in the SPT hall of fame for sure!

Katie A. said...

Very cute self portraits, and blog name. That extender is great!

Amy said...

Love the picture of you & your monkeys! And I never knew there was such a thing as an extender. No wonder you're the SPT queen!

Michelle Alley said...

Such cute self portraits of you and your kids. The Self Portrait pole is so hilarious - what a great gift! I've always love the name of your blog, I remember the first time I visited and saying - wow, why didin't I think of that name. Again, cute picture!

Price Cream Parlor said...

FUN SPT! I can't wait to see if there is a retake in store!

Anonymous said...

did i miss it? (vanishing post for thurs?)