Tuesday 31 July 2007

While mom's away the girls will fundraise

Yesterday while I was out the girls took matters into their own hands and had their Take a Stand lemonade sale. I was sorry they did it while I wasn't home (no pictures) but it's probably a good thing they went ahead, because realistically it might not have happened if they'd waited for me. So here's what I came home to:


The lemonade stand all put away in the garage.

A pitcher with a wedge of lemon sitting in the bottom. (Thanks for the clean up, Jaclyn)

And $6.50 waiting to be donated to The Calgary Humane Society. When we filled out our online request for a Sunkist lemonade stand we committed to put the proceeds of our first sale towards a charity, and the kids had recently visited the Humane Society so that was the charity we chose.

Today we went back to the Humane Society and dropped our coins into the donation box in the lobby. An employee saw us and came over and thanked the girls and gave them each a coloring book.

But for Carmen and Chloe the real reward was getting to visit the animals while we were there.

They want to do it again, and next time donate the money to the children's hospital. I guess I'll have to go out for lunch again and get out of their way so that they can go ahead with their plan.

13 comments:

Mandy said...

that lemonade stand is so cute. How great that they are learning to donate to such a good cause. I love animals too!

Michelle Alley said...

What sweeties your girls are to do it on their own. Really neat post! I'm going to show this to my girls - they would love to see the lemonade stand, the money that was raised, and where the girl's went to donate the money. Thanks for posting this! Love your blog and getting to know you!

Kathryn Thompson said...

This is really great. If my kids are anything like I was, they will be little entrepreneurs all over the place and I'd love for them to use their money like that. I bet they felt amazing.

Anonymous said...

And you didn't even come home with a friend for Flex -- good for you! I can't go to the humane society. It wrenches me.

So cute that they just had their lemonade stand on their own. I love Chloe's intense face as she's depositing the money.

Anonymous said...

Barb,
I think it is such a good idea to get your girls involved in a variety of things like you do! You're a great mom and I love reading about your different ideas and events.
Love,
Jane

Marie said...

Looks like they had a great job, and I think the putting it to charity was a great idea.

Mom didn't ever let me have a lemonade stand. Did you ever to one?

Sandi said...

Our children are an inspiration to us all. They don't wait for everything to be perfect, they just do it. Congratulations for being a successful mom.

Anonymous said...

Love that your girls are raising money for a good cause. How sweet! Happened to find your blog through Jill's. Love your blog!

Lucy said...

I love that lemonade stand. And now I'm thirsty!

Elizabeth said...

That is awesome they did it all on their own. We will definitely have to do that when the kids get older.

Jill said...

That's pretty cool that they were able to do all of that, you're a cool mom.

Anonymous said...

I noticed your new book on your sidebar. I love that one! How did you find a version with such a "Barb" cover?

sista # 2 said...

Really cute! I always stop & support any local lemonade sales;)
My littles would want every dog they saw at the shelter -it's a sad place. Nice of you all. Janae