Thursday 2 August 2007

I'm getting ready to go on our family summer vacation - we're doing a road trip!
*
How many of you am I going to pass along the way? I'll honk and wave as we drive through your cities and towns!

There were just a few things that absolutely had to happen before I could go:

I had some projects to finish off. I don't have a project room so I end up with creative sprawl all over my kitchen when I'm crafting.

I made these travel journals for each of us. I used my Cricut to cut out a white page to record something every day we'll be gone, and then I let each of the kids choose a color for the cover of their travel journal. It's a souvenir we don't have to buy.

I didn't have time to organize my craft cupboard. That will be a project for the fall.

I just had to make a raspberry pie before we could leave our raspberry patch. What if the raspberries stop producing before we get back? We can't have summer end without eating raspberry pie.

And then I had to make pickles. I've wanted to give it a try for a long time, and I bought the pickling cucumbers, so as we've been eating down the food in the fridge I came across them and bingo! One more project before I could take off for our family vacation.

I can't leave the house dirty. I've done it before, and I've always been sorry. I hate coming home to a dirty house and having the whole home-from-a-holiday-unpacking-mess explode all over an already dirty house. What I like best is to come home to a cleaner-than-usual house.

It seems like there's still one more thing I need to do before we can go . . . oh right,

Pack ! ! !

12 comments:

Michelle Alley said...

If only I was living in Portland again, we could meet! Or Utah, not coming to Montreal eh?!! So glad you're off, for a fun family road trip. Looks like a lot of driving, but a lot of fun times to come! Hopefully you'll do some blogging, if not, we'll miss you!

Anonymous said...

You better not just honk and wave as you pass through my town!

We seriously can't wait. The girls are on countdown. I cleaned my house really well before we left to come see you guys because of the house showings, and it was delightful to come home to. That's going to be my new trip policy.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Barb,you'd better honk as you drive through if you come this way.

Like you, I can't handle coming home to a dirty house...but I don't think I've ever dusted the blinds--that's serious cleaning!

I love your phrase "creative sprawl".

Have a great trip.

Oh...I love the travel journal idea. That is a great one.

jenny said...

Wow! You have been a busy lady. Pies, crafts and cleaning. That is quite a combination. How fun to go on a holiday. Have a fabulous time and good luck packing. We will miss you (unless you will be updating on the road?)

Marie said...

Come on, really, would dusty blinds have bothered you when you came home? I like to come home to a clean house too, but I'm talking vacuumed, toys picked up, no dishes in the sink, kind of clean. Sheesh!

Jill said...

I'm trying not to be offended or sad that you're coming my way and don't have time to get together. I know how it goes though, so I'll just have to get over it. Have a great trip!

Price Cream Parlor said...

I am seriously in awe of your mapped out trip! That is a ROAD TRIP! I thought my 12 hours was long enough! Fun that you are able to hit so many places. It will be fun to get together! We need to make plans.
I, too, must clean my home before I leave. There is nothing more depressing than coming home to a crazy, messy home!
Be safe. Enjoy the ride! See you soon!

Price Cream Parlor said...

Oh - just noticed your new book that you are reading. LOVED that book!

Mandy said...

when we were little, my mom always made us clean the house before we went on a trip and it's something I always do now. It's so nice to come home to clean.

have a great trip!

Ortensia Norton said...

I'm with Marie on the cleaning. Blinds need to be cleaned?? Ever??? :-)
I SURE hope you didn't do that all yesterday. Considering you worked in the day!!!

Sandi said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! You won't drive past me, but have a good time and enjoy coming home to finished projects!!! Wow!

Lucy said...

I'll wave as you drive past! Have a great trip:)