Tuesday 5 June 2007

"I have taught thee all the Law of the Jungle for all the peoples of the jungle . . . "
Rudyard Kipling, The Jungle Book

Steven had his last night as a cub scout tonight. He received his 6th star and his 6th award as well as a few more badges for me to sew on his sash. He has just enough room left on that sash for me to squeeze it all in.

He's very happy to be leaving cubs and moving up to scouts - he's been feeling a lot older than the tenderfoot cubs for quite a while.


Last night I had Steven paste this vintage wolf cub picture onto the front of a card, and write a note thanking his Akela for being his cub leader - I think it's just as important to teach the boys to be thoughtful and write thank you notes as the girls.

I found these excellent vintage pictures at the New York Public Library Digital Gallery (on my sidebar). They have so many great historic documents, including illuminated manuscripts, historical maps, vintage posters, rare prints and photographs, and illustrated books. The images may be freely downloaded for personal, research, and study purposes. It is such a great resource!

16 comments:

Ortensia Norton said...

Oy my word! How did you ever find that website?!? I will be on it and I'm sending Sil to it. I can't wait.

Anonymous said...

What a great resource Barb! Thanks for posting it. I can't wait to browse it.

Marie said...

Sounds like something I can use in projects. You know how I like projects!

Unknown said...

i've always loved these scouting images. (my dad was a scoutmaster when we were growing up, so i've always loved the scouts, too!)

kudos for boys writing thank you notes!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what's more amazing -- the website or that you caught a smiling Steven in a picture! Good for you, on both accounts. I love the picture of him. I'm excited to explore this library site.

Michelle Alley said...

Such great news about steven - what an advancment! Thanks for tips and info about the website - will have to check it out.

Barb said...

Kelly,
I had a talk with Steven before the badge/year end celebration about the fact that I was going to bring my camera and take pictures of him and he was going to deal with it. He was a really good sport, and you'll see when I send out the June family photo update that he's smiling in every picture, mostly because he knows I'm taking his picture and he feels a little goofy about it, but I'll take any smile from him that I can capture with my camera!

carlo said...

awesome resource. THANK YOU for sharing.

Oh, what a handsome young Scout! :)

donna said...

That is so great about your son Steven.Scouting is so important. Great web-site!

Amy said...

Thank you for that link. I am headed there. I love - dare I say it - Cub Scouts. I love those vintage prints. And I agree with Lelly's last statement wholeheartedly!

Elizabeth said...

That is the greatest resource. Thanks for sharing.

Jill said...

I'm glad you're teaching your cute son to write thank you notes, boys definitely need to remember to do that too.

I love the vintage scout photos and will have to check out those links you posted. Thanks!

Kelly said...

I love it, all of it! The vintage photos, the picture of your scout, the thank you note.

I finished chaperoning Cub Scout Camp tonight. When the kids had a little free time one little boy wrote me a Thank You note. Not prompted by anyone. Melted my heart. Teaching them to be considerate is important!

jenny said...

Congrats on the new step to the "real" scouts. Those scouting images are very cool!

everything pink! said...

when my husband applied for his medical residency all over the country the number one topic of discussion was not his acadamic accomplishments, his research or board scores it was his Eagle scout project and the interviewers could not believe they were meeting an eagle scout. is that not amazing!!!

that photo of your son seriously brought tears to my eyes. my husband will not be raising an eagle scout, be we have often spoken of finding a young boy around us some day and helping him get his.

i have such wonderful emotional feelings about scouting.

michelle said...

What a wonderful idea to have him write a (darling) thank you to his leader. Wish I'd thought of that!