Tuesday 22 May 2007

SPT - but it feels like Monday

I'm just coming out of a long weekend here: Victoria Day weekend. We went away with our family down to Grandma and Grandpa's home away from home near Waterton National Park.

I took the kids to Waterton while Ken worked on a project back at 'the ranch'. I got in my self portrait with an old friend: Cameron Falls.

The kids and I hiked up Bear's Hump and went on a guided horseback trail ride, which was so fun I was grinning like a fool the entire ride.


Ken's project (creating a dog run for Flex) didn't take nearly as long as he'd thought it would, and it turned out he probably could have finished the dog run and still joined us in Waterton. Too bad for dad - he was mowing while we were horseback riding.
The last time we spent a long weekend at 'the ranch' I had the best surprise of seeing an old friend of mine at church in the nearest town. I was really hoping to see her again this weekend, and I wasn't disappointed! My friend Heather lived in Calgary a little more than 10 years ago, and I got to know her by serving as her visiting teacher and also I was her counsellor in our ward primary. Heather was really my mentor and example in those days, and just chatting with her in the lobby of the church this Sunday gave me a boost. I got her address and phone number this time, and I'm going to use them both. Hooray for National New Friends, Old Friends Week!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb, your self-portraits are always so beautiful. Your face and complexion...they always looks so fresh and pretty.

jenny said...

That place looks grand with the waterfalls and horseback riding. Sounds like a great combination. :)

Marie said...

I haven't gone on the horseback tours since I was probably Steven's age. I remember loving them. Beautiful picture by the falls. We definatly want to make it to Waterton with the kids this summer.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I never knew there were horseback riding tour options. How fun!

Beautiful shot of you, and how fun to run into an old friend. Maybe you can convert her to blogging.

Price Cream Parlor said...

I enjoyed your take and photo on this challenge. Sounds like a wonderful weekend!
Lovely photo of yourself and your old friend!

Unknown said...

i'm so glad you got to run into an old friend, someone who is so important to you. i hope you will stay in touch!

Barb said...

Kelly:

I totally worked the fact that I'm blogging into my conversation with Heather, but she didn't bite. She's an interesting woman: she has 9 kids, and homeschools them all. She has great insights - a Heather blog would be a good read.

Elizabeth said...

Great spin on your spt with an old friend. And actually meeting up with one. This spt was meant for you.

annalisa said...

Running into old friends is the best. It's like funny money in a pair of jeans you haven't worn in a while, maybe even better.

Jill said...

Way to tie your weekend recap and SPT into one nice post.

Amy said...

Ah...the green is so dang GREEN! I think I want to go there. Right now.

sista # 2 said...

The horse photo is stunning! We just took a quick trip to Utah for a funeral, in the car - this reminds me of some gorgeous scenes along the way!:) Janae

Lucy said...

Hey...hope you don't mind that I stopped by. I love Waterton. We had a family reunion there last summer and it really is heaven on earth.

I've only been on one horseback tour and I was 14. I kept holding the horse back so that I could catch up with galloping. The guide chided me big time.

How fun to meet up with an old friend:)

Michelle Alley said...

I just love it when I run into old friends like that. Looks like you had a blast this weekend! I always love those guided tours, because I know they have the horses under control - although I still manage to feel scared!

Ortensia Norton said...

So fun! I would love to see Heather again. She is wonderful!

carlo said...

love your take on this. your smile is so contagious!