Friday 18 May 2007

Teacher Appreciation Week Postcards

One of our projects right now on the school council is preparing for teacher appreciation week at our school. Last year we did daily treats (BTW: Skip to my Lou had the best ideas for daily treats for teacher appreciation this year) and a special lunch for the teachers at the end of the week. I felt like that showed appreciation from the parents on the school council, but this year I want to involve all the families, and I especially want to show appreciation to the teachers from the students.
*
I got the perfect idea from a friend of a friend in my google group. At her school she organized a postcard campaign from all of the students to their teachers, and then she gave each teacher a small 4x6 photo album to collect and store all the postcards as they arrived. Good mail to the teacher's homes would be fun, but I didn't think the teachers would be willing to give personal addresses out to all their students, so I made up simple postcards from white cardstock with a blank line for the teacher's name, and then the school address underneath. I'm handing out a couple of post cards per child with a letter explaining that the student is to write a note or draw a picture for their teacher on the blank side, expressing appreciation. Then the idea is for the student to use the second post card for a resource teacher or someone in the administration or office staff. I'm really excited to add this new aspect to our teacher appreciation week!


We're asking each family to pay for their own postage, partly because I don't want to be giving stamps away to families that don't follow through on the project, and partly because I don't think I have the budget to be buying all those stamps. Look at the perfect stamp I found:

(I never would have gone looking for the perfect stamp without the influence of a few good mail bloggers out there)

I downloaded the stamp image from Canada Post and put it in the upper right of each postcard, which turned out so cute. It will be covered with a real postage stamp, obviously, but I hope someone out there in my school community notices it and appreciates it!

5 comments:

carlo said...

oh how i love this idea. THANK YOU FOR SHARING> it is in my file for next year. love the album idea, too.

we do the luncheon every year and it is so appreciated. we did a variety of things each of the schools:

-coffee break in the afternoon (with tea, coffee, lemonade, sweets)

-spa day: asked for spa treats to be brought in on X day. neck massages were available for the teachers. they loved this...(helps to have a mom who is a massage therapist!)

-red day: everyone wore red to show love for the teachers.

Marie said...

I don't remember doing anything for a teacher appreciation day as a student, so I think that is really great. And I love the stamp. It would never have occured to me to look for a themed stamp!

Anonymous said...

I love that stamp, and the idea is fabulous. I was truly disappointed in the plan for Avery's teacher's appreciation week. It made me sad, it was so lame. Next year, I am volunteering to do that because I've seen so many great ideas on blogs this year.

Michelle Alley said...

Really great idea - I love that stamp! Have a great Sunday!

everything pink! said...

oh thanks for sharing. the stamp! wonderful.

glad the tshirt worked for you.
i can't wait to see it.