Wednesday 23 May 2007


I don't need a time sheet summary to tell me I'm spending more time doing this:



(waiting in the school parking lot to pick up kids after extracurricular activities), looking at this:




(stern sign in the school bus loop) and wishing those were the only hours I ever spent in this parking lot.

*

Track and Field practises, team practises, play rehearsals, band rehearsals, late returns from out of town school trips, and on and on.

*

Today Carmen forgot to pass on the message from Jaclyn that the after school play rehearsal today was actually a dress rehearsal, and was going to be half an hour longer than usual. I sat stressing about the dinner that wasn't getting made and came to understand my mother a little better. She's a very punctual person, but she was always late picking me up after my activities. It bugged me, and I let her know it. Her response, "Better you waiting than me!"

9 comments:

Amy said...

love the picture of you. I can only imagine the car-time in store for me in days ahead. All of you big kid moms AMAZE me!

Marie said...

Mom never said that to me, at least that I remember. Mark dropped-off and picked-up after my piano lessons, but he just sat in the car doing homework the whole time so I never waited. However, he always stole the candy I'd earn during my lesson.

Ortensia Norton said...

Mark still steals candy from children. I am loving this inside look to your young life! Barb, that was such a great post, great pictures and great A-ha moment. now it Jaclyn had a cell phone she could have called you herself...:-)

carlo said...

hmmm, how much can i relate to this post??

we have entered into full sports swing season (softball-cass, soccer- ellie) so i am spending a lot of time running from one thing to the next and dinner? oh yes, must get to that...

fitting in practice, games and the other activities has been a challenge so i feel your pain.

oh the joys to actually see their self-esteem rising though. that is priceless.

Anonymous said...

My mom never said that, but I would get a mix of a sigh and a huff quite often.

Loved the picture of you. I am there quite often, myself.

Anonymous said...

If she wanted a ride home she had to share.

Jill said...

Waiting like that is so frustrating. That's why I always bring a book and stationery with me. I don't even have to wait that long for Whitney to come out of kindergarten, but I can still write a card in that time. It's a treat and makes me feel like I'm getting away with something.

Also, I keep tweezers in the car for some nice natural-light plucking time. It's great.

Jill said...

P.S. My mom was always late too!! It drove me crazy. I'm pretty sure she forgot me most of the time.

Michelle Alley said...

I haven't had to wait like that yet since except for a half hour because the girls are still so young. I see the future and it looks like a lot of waiting!