Friday 4 May 2007

Mother-daughter date

Carmen and I took the train downtown after school yesterday to go to an opening reception at an art gallery for a friend of mine who is enjoying some amazing success. Actually, my mirror image SPT has a painting by my friend, Rachelle, in the background. Carmen loves getting creative and messy, therefore she loves art - she was the perfect date for this event.


Taking the train was also a draw for Carmen to come along - it's a real novelty for her.





Gotta get a picture of us together - I have lost all self conciousness when it comes to taking self portraits in public places.


Our destination - a building downtown that houses many galleries.

Rachelle's sister in law, and a closer friend of mine, had told me how much better Rachelle has become in the last few years (since she did the painting that hangs in my house) but I was still so impressed. To see more of her art go here: Rachelle Kearl, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on artworks.

Spring Is Here #3 - 2007
acrylic on canvas, 14 in x 11 in
[part of tripytch]
--------------------
Funky Flowers - 2006
acrylic on canvas, 28 in x 22 in
--------------------
New Mother - 2007
acrylic on canvas, 36 in x 24 in
--------------------
Carmen and I also had fun looking around at the other galleries - we saw paintings, sculptures, fabrics, and glass beads. I learned I had to take a quick evaluating glance at the door of a gallery before I walked in with Carmen. Why is so much art not suitable for younger audiences? I think I did a good job sheilding her without freaking out - I didn't want to arouse her curiosity about why we went in some galleries and not others.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a fun outing. I like your friends style. Those are some great pieces.

Anonymous said...

Wow - a great event for the two of you. I love the painting you have, it was interesting to see her other work, too.

stacy{s} said...

Beautiful artwork. Makes me want to get my paints out. And what a fun day with your daughter.

Michelle Alley said...

What a wonderful post! And what a great time with your daughter. The paintings are really beautiful. Hope you had a great time!

Amy said...

ooh. LOVE those paintings. Wow. And so fun to go just with your daughter.

annalisa said...

I would love to take Alexis to an art gallery opening sometime. What a fun girls outing together.

michelle said...

Ooh, I am so loving the funky flowers!! What a great mother/daughter date.