Saturday 28 April 2007

I am one with technology:

I can take pictures with my chocolate cell phone, and even better, I can get those pictures onto my computer!




The Corporate Retreat




We were off to a great start the first night of the corporate retreat. We arrived in the evening, and the buffet at the reception had ice sculptures! Chloe really knew what she was talking about with our report card buffet: sculptures are a must.





The next day while Ken was in meetings I participated in a ladies best ball golf tournament. It was my first time golfing, and my team mates were hesitant to coach me in any way, but I did learn how to drive the golf cart.



I also learned by observation that instead of first pushing the tee in the ground, and then balancing the ball on top, that it is smoother to put the ball and tee together in my hand, and use the ball already in place to push the tee into the ground.




I discovered a little contraption I'd never heard of: a ball washer. Apparently sand and grass can interfere with an *A* game, and golfers at that level need a clean ball. I washed my ball, but it didn't improve my golf game.






The second night was Western Night. We ate BBQ steaks, BBQ chicken, beans, and the like. Some of the managers at Ken's company are real cowboys, so this was their second night in cowboy hats.





The next day while the executives and managers were in meetings there was an organized hike for the spouses. The hike was beautiful, and we had a nature guide with us, which really improved my appreciation for the area. The resort personal trainer came along, and he cracked me up, because he seemed to feel very responsible for our welfare. He took up the rear, and when we stopped for breaks he'd do a head count. I felt like I was a kid at summer camp, only there wasn't a craft when we got back to the lodge.


These falls were just below our resort.



Above is the old 'bath house', and below are the old tubs for soaking in the hot springs.


( I spent plenty of time sitting in the modern hot springs pool with the other ladies)




These are my feet in a a paraffin wax pedicure treatment I received while I sat in a massage chair at the on site spa.



The third night was the anticipated 70's night. I had heels on, but so did Ken, and with that wig he was even taller. Once again, the cowboys wore cowboy clothes.



The last day was the mixed men's and ladies' best ball golf tournament. Later in the evening was a 25th anniversary celebration of the company, and the golfing awards. It was a more formal evening, and guess what cowboys wear for formal clothes? You got it: cowboys have a truly classic and timeless look. During the golf awards, my team won the highest score even though we had a guy on our team who had gone to college on a golf scholarship. Who's fault do you think that was?

9 comments:

Mandy said...

What fun! You guys look great in your costumes! I loved hearing about your trip and have been curious about it all week!

Anonymous said...

One with technology and fashion! Those are quite the booties for your feet after the paraffin wax thing. I'm glad you made it!

Unknown said...

This retreat looks like it was quite enjoyable!
Who does your husband work for Barb?

Kelly said...

Your 70's attire had to make up for your golf score!

Ah ball washers. I lived on a golf course as kids. We used to pick up the golf balls once they were tee'd off, wash them then try to sell them to the irate golfers who had shown up at the green to discover the punk kids had taken their balls.

Much trouble we got in as kids!

Crystalyn said...

sounds like such a fun time! i'm jealous of your feet in paraffin was...ooooh, that feels so good! and i have only golfed once. the only thing i can say about it is that i didn't lose my ball ( :

Price Cream Parlor said...

Looks like a great time! So fun to have those photos!

carlo said...

so glad you are having fun! love the costumes.

paraffin dipped feet = heavenly!

annalisa said...

I don't know how to put pictures from my phone onto my computer. What a loser! Well, not that my camera takes good pictures anyway.
I think the golf award was all you. Sometimes we just have to carry those around us.
Sounds like a fun retreat, even if you had to endure cowboy hats at every event. And I have to say, cowboy hats are not formal!

michelle said...

Oh, stop it with the paraffin wax treatment! So jealous. And love that you took a photo!