Saturday 31 March 2007


It was our doggie's 1st birthday on Friday. We celebrated it late this afternoon with two other families who bought puppies from the same litter.


I made party hats for each of the birthday pets. Obviously they weren't really going to wear them, the hats were really just a party favor for the other families, but I did manage to get a picture of Flex balancing one on his head. He's a very treat motivated dog, and I used that to my advantage.


Flex, Casey, and Toby in our back yard

When my sister in law (Toby's owner) saw the cups she said, "Of course Barb would do this!"


Each of the 15 kids at the puppy party took home a doggie bag. Actually, the grown-ups got one, too.


We waited until our company had gone (except one niece, bottom right) to give Flex his present. The kids opened it for him, doggie style - with their teeth.


Flex and his new Kong toy.



This was our 3rd of 4 nights of celebrating in a row. I didn't blog about Thursday, but we had two families over for dinner to celebrate the end of figure skating lessons. Friday was our report card buffet, and today the puppy party. Three down, one to go. Tomorrow we'll celebrate Ken's birthday (a couple of days early) with his parents.

I have a question for bloggers and non-bloggers. What is the etiquette for posting pictures of people on my blog? In this post I have my nephew's legs and the back of my niece's head. I did this without their parents' permission, but I don't think they can be identified, so it seems alright to me. Non-bloggers: How do you feel about you or your family's picture being posted on someone else's blog? Bloggers: Same question, plus, what are your parameters for posting people other than your own family on your blog? I've seen ward members, friends, and extended family on other people's blogs. Did they give permission first? Did they know the person who was taking their picture has a blog? I want advice!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Barb, this party takes the cake. How funny. Is that tar paper from your roof that I see on the Happy Birthday poster?

Good question about whose pictures to post. I've wondered the same thing, but to be safe and courteous decided to only post people who give me their permission (which seriously limits the photos :)

How did you do the cups? Mod Podge? Can't wait to hear about the birthday party.

Price Cream Parlor said...

I am not a dog person - but I loved this idea! You are too creative and such a fun Mom!
Oh, about the question for posting photos. I think that it is best to ask before hand. I know that I would feel strange with photos circulating without my permission. Hope that helps....I will be anxious to read what others say on this subject as well....

Ortensia Norton said...

That party is hilarious! Anything to get family together hey? The doggie treats were my favourite.

On this blog I've only ever put your girls up and I did it b/c you were posting them so I assumed it permissable. I would also assume Kelly doesn't mind if I put her girls up. I would get permission from the other famililes first. I put pictures of Milly's B-day party and I felt terribly guilty but I wasn't going to call all the parents. I tried to pick pictures where you couldn't really identify the kids. I justified it by telling myself that only family had the website address.

As far as who I talk about, again I assume if they have a blog they are free reign. Other than that I feel a little queasy writing about anyone...but I do it anyway.

I do feel like I need written permission from people, (influence of school here) but hey I'd just rather not talk about them then:-)

jenny said...

Your dog is so cute. This makes me want a dog. And all that work? Man, he must be a special pup.

As far a photos go, most of my family & friends know that there is a chance I could post them...so they are fully aware. I don't really post any pictures of people that aren't aware of my blog. If people posted a picture of me I guess I wouldn't really care since my entire life story is out there in cirulation. I probably would ask the person if they felt uncomfortable about it though. Just to be on the safe side :)

Anonymous said...

There are lots of naked pictures of me on the internet already.

I still think I'm soooo funny.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you threw a birthday party for your dog! I am so glad
you did, because it gives me licence to do other such silly things without
others (Mr. Funny, maybe?) calling me crazy. It is fun to find reasons to have
celebrations, isn't it?

Amy said...

Oh my..I never even considered that picture posting issue. I'll have to be more aware.

I can not believe that you did 4 party nights in a row. It takes me days to recover from one. You are amazing & crazily creative!

Elizabeth said...

What a party house!
I am always cropping pictures and leaving them out. I always feel weird asking people if I can put them on my blog. SO I just don't.
Except for the obvious family and friends who have blogs.

Michelle Alley said...

How hilarious - you are just as smitten and spoil your dog just as much as we spoil ours! We have two dauchsunds, who think they own our house - after all, they were our first children.

I never thought of having an official party for them before - that's great - love the idea!

Bek said...

You are awesome!! I love the dog cups and favors. I feel like I have found a soul mate....

As for photos of other people, I have one sister who doesn't want her kids pictures on the internet and the rest don't care. I don't use full names or locations (and none of them live near us anyway..). Besides, they are just faces if you don't identify them, right? I would ask if you think they would mind, but I think it is ok...

For many people, the point of a blog is to keep people updated on their family.....

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness, this makes me laugh. We don't even go to this effort for Mr. Handsome, but of course, he does not have brothers to share a party with. I love it -- so fun for your kids. And, I like how now that Flex is a grown up his toys match his fur.

And can I just say -- favourite brother: shiver! You DO still think you are funny.

As far as the pictures thing. I never use last names or locations. I almost posted a picture of Marie's baby announcement (last name fuzzed), and then thought she might be uncomfortable with that, so I didn't. If there's a question, I either ask or just don't put anything up. I hope I haven't violated anyone's wishes now that I think about it.

Anonymous said...

Toby just wanted to say that he had a great time at the birthday party! He hopes he has more just like it. Barb is so good at hosting parties and expanding on a theme, so many good ideas (puppy or people party).
And I don't mind that my kids are in the pictures - as long as they're not embarassing photos;)