Monday 26 March 2007


THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST. MATTHEW
CHAPTER 13

1 The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the a sea side.

2 And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.

3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;

4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

5 Some fell upon a stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:

6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

I really enjoy the parables with their layers and symbols. I've read and studied this one many times, but it made a greater impression on me in Sunday school yesterday than it has before. Instead of looking at the parable from the perspective of examining what kind of ground we each are we looked at the sower.
The sower in this parable sows without discrimination. He sows by the wayside, in stony places, among thorns, and in good ground. And it made me think, I don't need to know what kind of ground others have in their hearts, and I should sow good seeds to everyone I meet. Seeds of the gospel, yes, but more. Seeds of friendship, kindness, understanding, fun, and sharing. This new look at the parable of the sower brought me back to my favorite scripture: Matthew 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye?
I think the reward of sowing good seeds without discrimination is the happy surprise of having a seedling spring up where you least expect it.
Sunday thoughts are such a great part of the journalling aspect of blogging. Thanks for the inspiration, Jill.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever looked at it that way before -- I love that. I still have a month of "Hall Bulletin Board Doctrine" study with PQ before she heads to nursery, and so I really soak up these Sunday thoughts. Maybe some time soon I'll have some to contribute. My Sunday thoughts from yesterday can be summed up with "Why are there so many thumbtacks on the floor out here?" Not so inspirational. :)

Ortensia Norton said...

I really loved that. Like Kelly I had never thought of it that way. I really like these Sunday thoughts. I think I must start. Hope you are feeling much better and that no one else gets sick. YUCK!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you taught me that today, Barb. Thank you!

Elizabeth said...

What great thoughts. That painting is one of my favorites. It cheered me up during this sick day.

Amy said...

I haven't ever looked at that parable from that perspective either. Beautiful to turn and learn. Thank you for the insights, and for the Sunday thoughts that follow Jill's brilliant footsteps. I so love & need the Sunday inspiration.