Monday 5 February 2007

Zoo

All sources say we're in for a cold snap starting tomorrow, so I took advantage of the warm weather today. A friend and I took our youngest daughters who weren't in school to go see the new baby giraffe at our zoo. We parked at the entrance nearest the giraffe enclosure and headed straight over, but sadly the baby and his mother weren't out! So disappointing! Of course we didn't turn around and leave, we just enjoyed the rest of the zoo. I love the quote below - I think it applies to much more than wildlife.


The tiger is my husband's favourite animal. Don't you just want to curl up with this cuddly looking creature?



Alice the camel?




The zebra always surprises me with how small it is.


I love zoo pictures in the winter, because the animals really pop out against the snow.


Were you sad we didn't get to see the baby giraffe? We checked again at the end of the afternoon, and we were so happy to see baby Richard! Below: eating bark off the same tree as his dad. They keep the baby fenced away from papa, but doesn't it look like the father could just step over that fence if he really wanted to?


He looks pretty big when there isn't an adult in the picture to compare him to. He's around 7 feet tall.


The baby giraffe hiding behind his mama.


My husband grew up just a few blocks away from the zoo when he was really small, and his mom took him there all the time. She wants us to keep up this tradition, so she gives us a family zoo pass every year. Thanks! We love to go!

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I love your zoo pictures, especially the last giraffe one. I wish we lived close to a zoo.

I'm glad you were able to see the giraffe before you left.

everything pink! said...

I have had to learn to love the zoo and good thing. now in D.C. we have a fun free one to go to.

i just love zebra's they are so graphicly pleasing.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am glad you got to see the baby giraffe! Emerson would have been ballistic. For some reason it cracks me up that his name is Richard.

It is so odd to me to see the animals in snow. That zebra looks so cold! I'm trying to remember the Chicago zoo in winter, and I don't know if they moved everything inside or if we just didn't go when it was that cold. I don't know. A zoo pass is a great gift, I think.

annalisa said...

Could you imagine delivering a baby giraffe? :).
Sure the tiger is cute, behind security measures, but snuggling up to one sounds like the base of too many of my nightmares.

Ortensia Norton said...

I love that quote. Who knew you keep get such inspiration at the Zoo. Camille is looking at these pictures with me. She reminded me that we all went to the zoo together! Even Grandma and Grandpa! We have very fun memories at the zoo...can't believe it was warm enought to go to the zoo! Camille would like to write
8j7r937e98378es3frgt7fctr3wre7236eow9218u921hw821d38217es8327e32yrgift7cdyXih1sg721szn1yiuy6w2ys8716sz1521 txy6 uhyt56rtyt6.