Wednesday 7 February 2007

I hosted book group today, so I got to choose the book. This is a book by a Canadian author, and it occurs to me that maybe this book isn't well known to my American friends? I'm not planning on giving you a book report, but I'll tell you it's a thinker. Not everyone in my book group liked my choice, I think partly because it turns out to be very metaphorical, and maybe too much like a book you'd be required to read if you were in an English class. Honestly, that's why I liked it: I got to dust off a few brain cells I don't get to use very often.


I went all out for the group today. I baked pi(e). I pulled out all our tiger toys for decorations (all purchased in the past by my husband who was trying to cultivate a love for his favourite zoo animal in his own children).


I printed up quotes from the book, and then made matchbook covers out of tiger print paper, so that you had to open what looked like a matchbook to read the quote. I got the matchbook-cover-for-quotes idea from my lurking days (not that long ago) on one of those evenings where I followed blogs from link to link, and I don't remember where I saw it. If you've seen the matchbook-visiting-teaching-message-quotes idea in your cybertravels, tell me where, so that I can post a comment on her blog and thank her for the idea.


Why do you like to read? For pleasure, as an escape, or for a mental workout?

6 comments:

Mandy said...

That's a very cute idea! I find I read for pleasure and I read because I feel I "should."

I can only read so many Winnie the Pooh, etc books without feeling the need for grown up words.

Anonymous said...

Can I join your book club?

I'm going to add this book to my ever-increasing list. The title sounds kind of familiar, but I am not sure if I've heard of it. I love that you went all out for the meeting with pie and tiger decor.

I like to read for all of the reasons you mentioned, and I especially love it when they all combine. Those are the best kinds of books.

Ortensia Norton said...

I read for all three reasons. I read different books to fufill those reasons. Every time I see life of Pi I want to read it again but I don't. It is very thought provoking and takes too much work to read it as I am falling a sleep.

I thought the show was on Oprah once which would mean millions of Americans have seen it. Maybe not though.

I think it's so funny you went all out. I love the tiger toys the most. I'm glad you have more time to go "all out" when you want to. So fun!

Amy said...

I read for pleasure. I read for escape. I read for a challenge. I read for selfish time. Please continue to share book ideas.

I read this book a few years ago. I remember Loving the descriptions in the first part of the book...the tidbits about life and animals, etc. An enjoyable read.

annalisa said...

I'm reading that book right now and I like it. I'm with Kelly can we join? What a cute hostess you are. I hosted bookclub once and nobody showed. Shows how interesting our bookclubs are!
I like to read for all the reasons you listed. If it's not enjoyable, the thinking part is not worth it and if it's fun but ditzy that's no good either. I'm the type to stay up until I finish a book. I can't read tidbits here and there.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just saw the matchbook pictures. Those are so cute!