Thursday 1 February 2007

How I spend my Thursdays

When my patients ask me how many days I work in a week, I tell them 6 and that they're seeing me on my day off. On Thursdays I'm a dental hygienist. I pack up all the lunches for the family on Wednesday night, and I'm out the door before anyone else in the house is awake on Thursday morning. I start seeing patients at 7 am, so my husband sees the kids off to school before he heads downtown.

Yeah, that's really me in the picture. It may seem kinda weird that I have a picture of myself examining a patient, but this picture was taken for the website of the office I work in.

Why did I become a dental hygienist? My dad told me to. People laugh when I say that, but it's the absolute truth. I didn't know what I wanted to take in university, and my dad looked me in the eyes and said, "Barbara, I think dental hygiene would be a good idea." Parents long for that kind of obedience in a 17 year old, I know.

Now that my own kids are growing up a little (the oldest is 13 and in 8th grade) I wonder and worry about what they'll choose for their own secondary educations. Will they chase their dreams, or will they choose something practical?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the picture. It's fun to see you in that element since I don't know you in that capacity at all - yet it has been your "day off" for as long as I've known you.

I wish my parents had given me some (really ANY) direction or advice after high school. Basically, they just said, "whatever makes you happy" which is lovely sentiment, but I could have really used some guidance. Thus, the ever so impractical Asian Studies degree. In many ways I don't regret that because I'm certainly happy with my life, and I think each little decision takes you to where you presently are. But, when I go with Keith to a concert in a seedy part of town that I'm sure we will get mugged walking to or from the car - my mind rattles a bit with "if he gets stabbed, and I have to support our family what could I do -- blog for a living?"

And so, there you go. My little dose of crazy for the day. :)

Mandy said...

Hi Barb, I am also one of Kelly's sisters in law-Josh's wife, Mandy.
I'm so glad you decided to start blogging. I hope you have fun with it!

Ortensia Norton said...

So much of it does depend on what parents say and esp. when they are speaking with money. Many books have been written on this topic. I myself could write a very long winded essay on it.

I chased my dreams and was lucky that it was practical enough. There are many days I wish I'd been more practical or had training in something that had nothing do with humans. A nice quiet office with no one to bother me would be great. Great salary would make it ideal.

In the pursuit of chasing my post secondary dreams I found others dreams. One day I hope to chase those. (i.e. study more History or just enjoy being a healthy Stay at home mom)

Do you know now what you want to take at university? I'm curious.

Ortensia Norton said...

PS I just remembered that I did know you as a hygenist but you were on the other side of the office. Never remember seeing you with gloves of the mask though. Really, how many pictures are any of us in??

annalisa said...

Ok I'm commenting :).
I had to laugh at your "work" day being your day off. The days I work I think the same thing. It's so much easier, less is demanded of me, and when I get home, sometimes I have dinner made for me. Day off indeed.

Anonymous said...

Barb, I love this picture. I wish you were my dental hygienist. I'm so glad you shared this with us.