Sunday 13 February 2011

"Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true."  - Robert Brault


This week Chloe and Steven had opposing experiences at school. Steven had to write an in-class essay on the importance of being kind (the whole class had to write this essay referencing literature they've been studying - it wasn't some sort of special assignment for Steven to remedy him of unkindness or anything like that).

Chloe also had a writing assignment. Her exercise was to write a paragraph with details supporting the first sentence. The assignment read that she could write about how someone she knows is like a monster or how someone she knows is like an angel - but the teacher only gave 'monster' examples of her own sister as a child and Chloe came away thinking she had to do a 'monster' paragraph. I found her in the kitchen doing homework with a cereal box hiding her paper and the most dejected look on her face. It was miserable for her! She couldn't think of the minimum 6 'monstrous' things about anyone and she felt guilty writing down what she could come up with. Poor girl. I pointed out that she had the choice of writing about someone's good qualities (an angel) and helped her start over. Then I wrote a short email to her teacher. What kind of assignment is this to complain about someone you care about? (And for our family, how counter to the love notes we've been doing all month?)


What does this picture have to do with being kind? Ken is on a business trip in Abu Dhabi and he sent me this picture he took with his Blackberry. I'm kind of jealous. He says not to be - it's no fun without me. Well, it's not as fun here without him.

7 comments:

Jill said...

How interesting that both kids had writing assignments like these this week. I'm glad you helped redirect poor Chloe.

I'd be jealous of the palm trees and sunshine too.

LOCKHARTS said...

Why not join Ken? Your kids are more responsible than any other children/teenagers I know! And you have at least one set of grandparents near by. You could always send Carmen to come live with me...lol.

Barb said...

Ha! Well for one thing, Ken flew out with 3 days notice, so my plane ticket would have been super expensive, and then besides that I always tell people that my children don't need both their parents in the middle east at the same time ;-)

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm so glad you could redirect Chloe...so glad you could see the problem.

Abu Dhabi...isn't that where Garfield or Calvin always sends Hobbs? I've got my cartoons mixed up.

Ortensia Norton said...

Yeah! I can now post on iPod!

Poor Chloe! What an experience! I think it's great that she had such a tough time. When I taught kids were happy to vent!

Marie said...

Yup, I can see that assignment causing Chloe stress. It is nice to know she doesn't have a mean streak hidden under there!

michelle said...

I'm so glad that Chloe could stop and write about an angel instead! Sounds like the monster was making her miserable.