Friday 17 September 2010

Winter Embroidery

On like the second day of school Steven came out to the car and told me Carmen wasn't coming yet because she'd lost her shoes.  (Her outdoor shoes. Like the rest of the world, I'm sure, our school has a two-shoe policy.)  She'd found a pair of shoes similar to her's, but smaller, so we figured someone had taken her shoes home by mistake.  A nearby teacher told me this doesn't usually become a problem till winter when everybody has the same Ugg-type boots.  I was instantly concerned since I'd already bought Carmen's Kirkland brand Ugg knock-off's for this year.

Well, today was the day that Carmen asked to wear her new boots (I said "not yet") and we talked about what could we do to make her boots more identifiable.  Here's what we came up with:


Today I whip-stitched over the back, already whip-stitched, seam in pink embroidery floss finishing it off with a little X on the bottom.  It's actually pretty cute - I hope I haven't made them a boot-swiping target. (I'd prefer to have started a 6th-grade trend.)

7 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I have never heard of a two shoe policy! Have my kids been out of elementary school too long? Is everybody doing that?

That being asked, I love what you did to her boots! You always have such practical, stylish solutions to your problems.

Jill said...

What a brilliant idea and oh so cute! It won't take long for everyone to copy this great plan!

Marie said...

That is so cute! A perfect way to personalize!

Lucy said...

Genius! and so stylish too!

Tiffany said...

(I'm with Jane--I've never heard of a two shoe school. It makes sense for a northern climate, though!)

Cute-cute idea!!

April said...

Will you be my mother?

I think AZ should adopt the two-shoe policy...the kids are required to wear close-toed shoes at school and are just melted by the time they walk home in shoes and socks...I think changing into flip-flops would be wonderful!

Amanda said...

Never heard of the two shoe policy either!

I love this simple and stylish way to make it more identifiable. Posey would be all over this.