Friday 30 October 2009

Costume Ideas

Thank goodness my kids come up with their own ideas for dressing up on Halloween!
v

v
Carmen decided early that she wanted a Mulan-type costume, so I kept watch for a silky robe at Value Village ($7) and she sewed the wide belt to complete her look.
v
Chloe had long-planned to be a geologist (she's studying rocks & minerals in school) which involved a lab jacket, a sack of rocks, and various tools. Then last night she decided the lab jacket was too long to dance in at the school sock hop - this might sound like the makings of a Halloween costume emergency, but she pulled out the cat ears and tail from the dress-up box and was very happy to be a cat. She meowed all morning.
v
In case I ever do get the job of suggesting costume ideas, I took some photos of my favorites at the Halloween Parade this afternoon:
v

v
Clark Kent is so much cooler than Superman.
v

v
I'm sure this one isn't P.C. (so many Halloween costumes aren't) but these boys had the details of down-on-their-luck all the way down to the bags of empty cans.
v

v
"Little Old Lady" is a costume I could probably pull together at the last minute.
v

v
I'm sorry I caught this cutie adjusting her costume. Her mom made it from an actual Twister game. The jaunty little hat on her headband is the spinner! The boots were thrift store brown before her mom spray-painted them, and she had lots of plastic jewelry accents - just adorable.
m

m
S'mores, anyone?
m

m
Here is our principal. He and many of the staff did a pageant theme. He is wearing a sash that reads: Miss Guided. Other teachers included the math teacher wearing her usual calculator costume, but this year with a sash that read Miss Calculated. Another teacher dressed Flash Dance style and her sash read Mrs. The 80's. Other contestants included: Miss Spelled (shirt covered with incorrectly spelled words), Miss Demeanor (inmate costume), and Miss Fortune (fortune-teller costume). It was a great group costume idea!
m

m
Adding sunglasses and a white cane to a referee costume? Brilliant.
m

m
The paper bag princess made another appearance this year. I'd actually like to see this teacher do her Dog the Bounty Hunter costume again - now that was spooky.
.
Steven missed the Halloween Parade - he stayed home sick all week. He was probably better today, but we decided to save his strength for his football game tomorrow. Does that lack some Halloween spirit?

9 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh Barb, these costume ideas are so cute. I'm so glad you shared them.

That Carmen and her sewing. I just love your resourceful your kids are.

No, no. Steven's got the right spirit. Go ______ (whatever your school mascot is)!

Kelly said...

These are fabulous costumes -- thanks for sharing. PQ will definitely approve of Carmen's choice. And yea for Chloe for being flexible. We had a last minute costume emergency the night of our ward Halloween party, and it was met with a bit more of a freak out fest.

Jill said...

These are great costume ideas. Carmen and Chloe look cute as always. My kids' costumes were no effort on my part this year, they basically wanted to have their faces painted and planned their costumes around that.

Katie A. said...

Some of those costumes were VERY creative! Your girls looked great. (Chloe, way to think on your feet!)

The down-on-their-luck boys made me think back to a high school homecoming week: we dressed up to a different theme each day of homecoming week (PJ day, twin day, etc). One day was career day. There were teachers, firemen, nurses, and more of the obvious, conspicuous careers. Then my friend Corrie...her outfit that day matched with those boys, down to the old hat, torn plaid jacket, and bag of worldly belongings. (She has an actual career now, so it was not an omen for her future!)

Marie said...

We did the Miss________ thing in Dental Hygiene year one. I cannot remember for the life of me what Miss I was, but these were great. I especially liked the Mrs. The 80s. That is clever. I saw a Clark Kent tonight too, and thought it was brilliant. Totally great.

Why can I never find what I am looking for at Value Village? Everyone else seems to have great luck there. Sheesh.

Tiffany said...

It looks like everyone had a lot of fun with it--such creative ideas!

Lucy said...

I do love creative costumes. Sadly, I never have my boys in creative costumes! You posted some great ideas, though. And, your girls are adorable.

michelle said...

Clark Kent IS so much cooler than Superman! Love it.

I wish my kids would come up with their own costumes!!

Jenny said...

I love the twister costume. Some people are so creative when it comes to making costumes. I envy them at times.