Thursday 15 May 2008

Jaclyn

Jaclyn had Track & Field this week. She's been most successful in the past in medium distance running events, so I was more than a little surprised when she signed up for javelin this year.
Her explanation: Come on, how many times in your life do you get to throw a giant spear?
I love her answer, it contains a Carpe Diem sentiment that I hope she keeps.
In other Jaclyn news, she found out today that her teachers have selected her to be valedictorian, which is something she was hoping for.
The 9th grade students nominate each other for the opportunity to give various speeches at grad: toast to the parents, toast to the teachers, blessing over the banquet, and to be the valedictorian. When Jaclyn first told me about this I thought it was strange. You have to audition for valedictorian? Isn't that something you earn by your academic achievement and participation in school activities? But the more I thought about it, the more the audition made sense to me, at least from an event standpoint. The teachers are ensuring some quality control on the speeches, very understandable for a jr. high grad.
Jaclyn's hope to *win* the spot of valedictorian was enhanced by her unsolicited nomination to give the blessing over the banquet. The students failed to nominate their friends for this position (no surprise there), so one of the teachers nominated Jaclyn and her good friend Megan (both LDS). Jaclyn knew she wouldn't be selected for both, therefore she hoped all the more to 'give the commencement speech' (a phrase Ken coined rather than say valedictorian, I already explained our issue with auditioning for a traditionally academically earned title).
Jaclyn is doubly, no possibly triply happy. She doesn't have to offer a public prayer at grad, she is the valedictorian, and she gets to give the commencement speech.

20 comments:

Humphreys Family said...

WOOHOO Jaclyn!!! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

I sign up for javelin every year; why were you so surprised THIS year?

Ortensia Norton said...

Jaclyn, you kill me! Your comments have me on the ground. How do you get your voice over the internet like that??
Congrats on honor- you'll be great. Do you want to wear my purple puffy dress with sweat stains or my red puffy dress? they'll be all the rage.

BTW I refused to say 'grace'. I told them they were stereo-typing me and I refused. I felt like I was being mocked in an odd sort of way. Good grief, anyone can say prayer, if not, don't have it!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you also forgot that there are also nominations for master of ceremonies, which is the only nomination that may select two students for the position. As for how I get my voice over the internet clearly, it's probably just my obsession with writing about everything.

sarah said...

Hi, This is Sarah. I'm a friend of Marie's. I have to say I have been reading your blog for a year now! I check it every day! haha.
I love to read it. And this is going to be my first comment.
I just wanted to say that I only signed up for discus, javelin, and shot put in track because they were the least 'runny' events in track. And I am not a runner.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Kudos to Jaclyn...I love her comments, too.

Amy said...

I love the explanatory statement about the javelin. I want to throw a giant spear today. Congrats to Jaclyn on valedictorian and the speech...don't you love having a daughter who WANTS to do that?!

melanie said...

I love when Jaclyn leaves you comments too. Congrats on being chosen for the speech.

Elizabeth said...

How fun to get comments form your daughter. Congrats J!

Marie said...

Jaclyn, you are truly one in a million. I doubt I'll ever meet someone like you again. Congratulations on the valedictorian win. And to address the voted vs earned concern, I am pretty sure Jaclyn is the valedictorian both ways, so Ken can rest easy. I am so proud of you.

Marie said...

Barb - I just saw your new sidebar book. What is 'Twilight' and why are you embarrassed to be reading it? An ooey-gooey romance?

April said...

Instead of being embarrassed, just say you are doing to research into what your young women are reading. Or make a nice book cover so no one will know.

Jaclyn looks so awesome with that giant spear. I love a girl who completely believes in herself.

jenny said...

I love her confidence. It will definitely take her far in life. And if I could throw a spear right now, you bet I would! Congrats on such a high honor Jaclyn. :)

Cecilia said...

Way to go Jaclyn! She is s pretty and confident!!! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Jaclyn is fabulous. A spear-throwing valedictorian -- wonderful! Congratulations!

Laurie said...

She is awesome! I love it.

michelle said...

I love Jaclyn's reasoning behind throwing the javelin! Awesome. And I love that she leaves you comments!

Lucy said...

I signed up for Javelin my freshman year of high school. During the first practice, in my attempt at throwing it, I turned my wrist so that the entire back end of the javelin whacked the back of my head. I haven't touched one since.

your girl must be one smart, and coordinated, cookie:)

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. I wish I was coordinated. It would save me a lot of embarassment in gym class...like the time I tried to catch a kickball, and it went BETWEEN my hands and hit me on the head.

Tiffany said...

This is wonderful! What an exciting end to the school year!