Saturday 26 April 2008

Our week

'
Today was 10'C (50'F).
Balmy? No! But Carmen, Chloe and a few friends thought it seemed like a good day to catch some rays - heavy on the High School Musical II influence.
'
'
Jaclyn had a couple of special events:
'


On Thursday she had an award ceremony at our local Royal Canadian Legion.
From their website: For many, many years, The Royal Canadian Legion has sponsored annual Poster, Essay and Literary Contests that are open to all Canadian school children. The youths that participate in the contests assist the Legion in one of our primary goals – fostering the tradition of Remembrance amongst Canadians.
Jaclyn entered the poem she wrote last spring after we went to The Museum of the Regiments, and she was awarded 2nd place and $15 for her submission.


Jaclyn played in Badminton Divisionals on Tuesday.
'
{Jaclyn's left hand is in perfect focus, what went wrong with the rest of the picture? I think I need sports photography lessons and maybe a new and improved camera!}
'
Long story: back in 7th grade Jaclyn auditioned for the school play (A Midsummer Night's Dream) and then after rehearsals started she wanted to try out for the badminton team. I gave her permission to go to the try outs, mostly because she hadn't made any of the other teams that year, so I felt sure of the outcome. I was wrong: Jaclyn made the badminton team and she was way too busy with after school play rehearsals and badminton practises. I wised up the next year and told her she could only audition/try out for one spring activity. She chose the school play (I Never Saw Another Butterfly) but she was a little bitter about not playing badminton. This year Jaclyn went for the school play again, but when the 9th grade girls didn't show enough interest in the badminton team to fill all the spots the coach approached Jaclyn and asked her why she didn't try out for badminton again. She told him, "I'd like to, but I don't think I can handle the time commitment." (Read that last sentence again and ask yourself how your life would be different if you learned to say those words.) Well, Jaclyn didn't stick to those words because she really wanted to do both, and with 9th grade badminton practises in the early morning instead of after school she talked me into it.
Short story: Jaclyn was on the badminton team this year and was so happy to play she didn't mind getting knocked out of the tournament early.
'
'

Steven went to a boxing match last Saturday night with one of his best friends, bff's dad and bff's brother. I'm not actually so sure that boys have bff's, but hey, you get the idea. The bff's family has a neighbour who is a boxing *Olympic hopeful* and that's who they went to watch. Steven met and got autographs from George Chuvalo and Eddie Mustafa Muhammad. Ken thought the whole thing was great and refers to Saturday as Steven's *first* boxing match. Too bad for Jaclyn that Best of EFY was over early enough for Ken to pick her up and the take her along with him just in time to see the main event. After that short exposure to boxing she's not a fan.

Too bad for Steven, but lucky for you I didn't send the camera along to the boxing match. I'm sure you'd much rather see one of the new kittens from Carmen's riding stable:

11 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Barb, the variety in your family's interests never ceases to amaze me. I just think it's so great that you encourage them in such varied interests without over doing it (Jaclyn is so wise :)

Why is it men love boxing so?

Lindsay said...

I love that your girls are in their swimsuits with the snow on the ground behind them. Crazy!

Marie said...

Do you ever have a week where you all just sit home every evening? Wow, you are all busy, active people!

And I am loving the swimming suits in the snow picture. Ha!

Michelle Alley said...

Such a cute picture of the snow and the sunbathing - very cool! Your Jaclyn is amazing! What a well rounded young women! Way to go Barb :) Take care!

Katie A. said...

I love the swimsuits in the snow picture. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to do that. The idea of snow makes everything seem colder!

Cute kitten! I would rather see it than a boxing match, you're right.

carlo said...

wow. snow and swimsuits.

wow!

i love the video of your white earth day , btw. love to hear the voices!!

and yes, you have one busy family. i often wonder how families do it with more than 2 active kids- and stay sane. You are a great example!!!

Anonymous said...

50 degrees is when we haul out our winter jackets or coats...brrr!

I am always amazed at the variety of different activities your children are involved in--so neat for them!

Anonymous said...

I am cracking up over Chloe & Carmen sunbathing in the snow.

Go Jaclyn! I love that she is already wise enough to regulate her time committments. That is a gift that will serve her well.

I am one who does not understand the attraction to boxing. At all.

April said...

Love the sunbathers with the snow backdrop...reminds me of our Minnesota days.

I'm going to borrow Jaclyn's line and make my life "different"...do you think I can stick to my guns?

Tilane said...

Absolutely hilarious seeing those girls in bathing suits with snow in the background!

kelly said...

i'm loving the bathing beauties... hope it didn't get too cold for them.