Monday 24 March 2008

Red Lentil Soup


2 c. washed red lentils (but I never wash them any more)
6 c. water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 med. onion, chopped (or dry onion from the food storage)
2-3 stalks celery, chopped (worst case scenario: omit)
1 garlic clove, chopped (another dehydrated substitution here)
3-4 carrots, chopped (I've used dehydrated carrots)
2 potatos, peeled and diced (hello - potato pearls)
1 (19 oz.) can diced tomatoes (a food storage essential)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 T. dried parsley
1/4 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf

Combine lentils and water. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes. Rehydrate the onion and garlic if you've gone with the dry storage foods. Saute onion, garlic, and celery in olive oil until tender. Stir into lentils. Add all other ingredients and simmer 1 hour. Or: if using dried vegetables, add one cup of potato pearls and 1/2 cup dried carrots with maybe 15 minutes of simmering time to go.

(Christy: this is from the 'Celebrate' cookbook page 58, but I added the potatos, which changes the soup completely - don't omit the potatos!)


As for the cornbread, I don't think my recipe is anything special. I'm sure freshly ground cornmeal would improve any recipe.

5 comments:

Michelle Alley said...

thanks for the recipe!

Ortensia Norton said...

I still want the recipe - I don't have a super great one. Please. And thanks for the Lentil soup!

Tiffany said...

I've don't know if I've ever had lentils--I'm sure I'm missing out. :)

Your recipe notes sound like how I cook--usually substitute dried onion for fresh in cooking, etc.

michelle said...

This sounds wonderful! I love lentils.

Amanda said...

I am printing this out to try. I have only had green lentils which I love. This looks like a great food storage staple...thank you.

Ingenious grinding the popcorn. What kind of grinder do you have? We have a ton of wheat and no grinder as of yet. I'd be interested in why you chose the one you did.

Also, love your measuring cups. My favorite color.