Thursday 20 March 2008

Provident Living

One of my 10-hour personal progress projects was to get a year supply of basic foods and learn how to cook with it. I already had a significant amount of food stored in the basement, which I inventoried. I then went to the cannery once a month for months and months. By the time I starting the cooking half of the project, I was well past 10 hours. I made a couple of lentil recipes, both are now family favorites, and called the project done.
.
I bought a wheat grinder mid-project with my Ralph Bucks, but until last week it remained in its box on the floor of my pantry. Trying out the grinder has gradually moved up my action list as my manic mode is settling into a way of life. (How long is this going to last? I have no idea.)
.
I got out my instruction manual.
.
And then, instead of grinding wheat, I decided to experiment. I'd heard that you can grind popcorn into cornmeal, but I didn't know anyone personally who had tried it.
.
The cornmeal came out very fine, which had me a little worried that it wasn't right.
.

But the cornbread turned out more than 'fine'! It was the best I've ever made. Those pounds of popcorn in my basement will be put to good use, I'm never going to buy cornmeal again.

When the cry goes out, "The sky is falling!" we'll fill our tummies with red lentil soup, and now, cornbread on the side.

16 comments:

Kelly said...

Ooh yum! I do love my wheat grinder but rarely get it out anymore. The fresh cornmeal is calling my name! And I see you've employed your tricky new cupcake papers in a cake pan too! Very impressive project.

Marie said...

A very informative instruction manual to be sure.

You are getting harder and harder to live up to you know.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm SO proud of you, Barb! I think you'll love your wheat grinder. Please post any other successes!

Humphreys Family said...

I was looking for the recipes for these two family favorites, please share...

Ortensia Norton said...

I too would love the recipes of both.

I think you have just forgotten that you have always had a manic self, which turned to a 'slow' (ha!) self, during intense baby/toddler/pre-school stage. Now you have just gone back to manic - which really is just your normal self.

Ortensia Norton said...

Oh, I just read Marie's comment. PLEASE MARIE! PLEASE!

I gave up keeping up with either of you YEARS ago. I may or may not clean my bathrooms tonight...

nic said...

Wow! I could even see myself trying the cornmeal thing. That was brilliant. Glad they turned out. Well done on your personal progress.

jenny said...

That tip is awesome. And the bread looks YUMMO.

Jill said...

What a great personal progress goal! I'm so impressed with your efforts and successes. I need to be a little more Little Red Hen-like.

Katie A. said...

I love your "instruction manual". The cornbread looks delicious--I haven't eaten cornbread for years. Way to be adventurous with the corn instead of wheat. And it turn out! That's the best!

I enjoyed your SPT, too.

Tiffany said...

What an amazing goal! Way to go!

It took us a few years to realize that pounds of wheat got us nowhere if we didn't have a good grinder! I've loved mine--but only done wheat in it. I love the little red hen too--whenever I teach a bread class I'm always sharing that book. Have you read "The Little Red Hen (Makes a Pizza)"?

Anonymous said...

This was a great experiment. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Another request for you to post the recipes. And a wish that there was a way for you to share your manic phase.

Michelle Alley said...

How interesting Barb! I had never heard of kernels being turned into cornmeal - really cool - makes sense I guess though! What a fun post!

michelle said...

You're making me want to get a wheat grinder even more than I already did. I never even thought of making cornmeal! Brilliant. I really need to step up my food storage, as well as figuring out how to really use it...

carlo said...

wow. i am more than impressed

had to laugh at your sisterly comments...

:)