Sunday 16 March 2008

Cupcake Cake

For Carmen's birthday party I wanted to make cupcakes because they are so easy to serve and fairly clean for kids to eat. Carmen sort of wanted a cake, but she was flexible, so she asked me to frost all the cupcakes together to look like a cake (I think she'd seen it done at a friend's party). I agreed. After the cupcakes had baked I shoved them as close together as possible and spread the icing across, creating a questionable and bumpy landscape. Not something I could have piped 'Happy Birthday' onto.
.
They didn't turn out as well as they look in this photo.
.

No problem, we piled a few more cupcakes on top, placed the extra long candles in odd positions, and had a wack-a-doo cake. It suited Carmen very well, actually.
.

I really liked Carmen's idea of icing cupcakes together to create a cake sized cake for decoration, while still providing the ease of serving cupcakes. I tried again this weekend, but this time I put all the cupcake papers squished together tightly in cake pans. This picture from the top doesn't show how well the cupcake cake worked: it had a nice even surface to frost. I could have easily piped on flowers or words, but Kelly's cupcake therapy recipe calls for shredded coconut sprinkled on top.
.
You don't want to frost the sides of a cupcake cake, but ribbon is prettier anyhow!
.

I was very pleased with the way it turned out.
.

We all were.
.

16 comments:

Marie said...

Baking them all together in a tightly fitting pan was a great idea. And the ribbon was a great idea.

Carmen - do you crimp your hair??? I used to wear my hair that way when I was exactly your age. I suddenly feel very hip and cool.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a brilliant plan! I love this idea. Can't wait to use it, thanks Barb.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that worked out!

Carmen's hair is looking so long! And yes, crimping! That brought me back to jr. high.

Tiffany said...

I've seen many cupcake cakes in the bakeries--they are a great idea to make serving cake easier! Brilliant idea of putting the papers together in a round pan! That did look good!

michelle said...

YUM. And very clever.

Kelly said...

That green ribbon makes the cake. Although I am sure the taste makes it more. Cute Dr. Seuss-like cak! Mm, I want cake.

Price Cream Parlor said...

YUM! Were they not the best hands down? Love them! Cute idea!

April said...

You clever girl!

Katie A. said...

Very creative idea to bake them together like a cake. They do look delicious too!

Michelle Alley said...

That is so cooL! Those cupcakes sound really really good! Love the ribbon idea around the cupcakes too!

carlo said...

and this post is reason #148 why i love blogging.

brilliant!!!!!

Emily said...

Oh, YUUUUM!

Lucy said...

What an excellent idea. I'm not much of a cake baker, but that is so adorable, and the possibilities for fun with kids are endless. Thanks for sharing your technique.

Hilary said...

I agree-- ideas like this are why I love blogging too. Your Kelly Cupcake cake is so cute and looks so good. I may do one for Easter!!

Amy said...

You are brilliant! But I'm mostly loving the "this did not turn out as well as it looks in the picture". Ha!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Think we gotta try it here. They look so yummy.