Tuesday 5 February 2008

Valentines for Boys

Valentine's Day is a sissy holiday - the only proof I need is in Steven's lack of enthusiasm.
.
Our school system groups kindergarten - 6th grade into elementary school. Our junior high takes in 7th-9th grades, and high school is 10th-12th grade. We don't have freshman, sophomore, junior, senior. We just number the grades.
.

Anyhow, Steven is in 6th grade. This is the last year of elementary school, and the last year he will have to give a Valentine's Day card to everyone in his class. It's a good thing because for the last couple of years even the *boy* cards haven't appealed to Steven. Shrek, Spiderman, Superheros - he's too old for it all. He doesn't want to put his name on Valentines that don't represent him (you know, "My name is Steven and I approved this message").
.,
So here's what we do:
.
.

Hockey cards. He still packs them up in vellum heart envelopes - they are after all, Valentines. But no juvenile characters to be embarrassed by, just athletes at the top of their sport.
These Valentines are so great! Steven got them done today, and his sisters haven't even started making their Valentines!
.

I'm sure if we lived a little farther south Steven would probably give away baseball cards, or even better, NFL cards! (Do they make these? I need to find out - Steven would be so happy with me if I tracked down some football trading cards)

Flickr has a trading card generator for something more personal.
There's also a Yugioh card generator.
..
.

Chloe (who has traded in ballet for karate) would be so proud to give these to her classmates as Valentine's cards. They're even red. On the other hand, as a girl she should be completely happy to go with classic Valentine's Day cards.

19 comments:

Jill said...

What a great idea!

Kelly said...

Isn't it the truth! Where is the love for the boys? (V-day doesn't really ring my bell either though.) The trading cards are such a cool idea.

Elizabeth said...

A great idea.
Oh I hope you feel better soon!

Marie said...

Yes, I can easily believe that Steven would not get a kick out of giving his classmates Valentines.

We just got a notice from Carter's preschool reminding us that Valentine's day is coming up and provided a list of names of everyone in the class. How am I supposed to convince Carter to write out his name 20 times?

Amy said...

Genius! I definitely need to tuck that idea away somewhere.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a terrific idea, Barb. Thanks for sharing it.

The Monkeys said...

That's a great idea. I didn't even have to think hard to decide a 6th grade boy wouldn't love valentines day. I watch them at church and by 8 it is uncool to sing or do anything that isn't competitive. Poor guys- I think they have it hard, sometimes.

Tiffany said...

What a great idea!

I grew up with the same grade arrangements and enjoyed being able to have school parties until 6th grade. Now the kids have intermediate (5-6) and middle school (7-8). It is kind of sad they miss out on recess and parties and start up with lockers and class schedules so soon. Welcome to the real world, I guess!

I do hope you are getting rid of that cold and feel better!

michelle said...

That is so cute! Lucas still enjoys giving valentines, as long as they're SpongeBob or something like that. Max was all too glad to leave that tradition behind when he moved to jr. high.

(I am giggling over "My name is Steven and I approved this message."!)

carlo said...

oh what a fantastic idea. I wondered about the boy aspect with this pink and frilly holiday.

love the hockey/trading card idea. you are so creative!!

Unknown said...

jack would love hockey trading cards! i wonder if they have them here "down south..."

April said...

I must say that the end of school holiday parties are something I look forward to. I think there is something wrong with me...I have no heart for either Halloween or Valentine's Day.

Katie A. said...

Cool twist on Valenine's Day cards--not too mushy, not too childish.

And ballet for karate-quite the switch. She looks very cute (and tough) in her karate clothes. (is there a name for them?)

Michelle Alley said...

Such a great idea! I love that Chloe is taking karate - I could totally see Veronika doing that very same thing! Where did your relatives end up living? August is such a great time to come to Montreal, we must see if we could get together while you are here - wouldn't that be so fuN!

Barb said...

Karate clothes do have a proper name: Gi

Lucy said...

I've managed to get my boys manly valentine's each year. This year we have a pack of NASCAR and a pack of 3-D sports ones. I think older boys might be harder. But, then, at some point, ripping out little perforated valentines loses its luster.

I love the hockey pictures and your daughter looks tough!

Tilane said...

Looking at that "South Calgary" card makes me a little home sick. Than I think about the weather up there, and I get over it. I use to live in Shawnessy, Willow Park, Parkland, Canyon Meadows and Sacramento in the SW and SE.

jenny said...

I totally agree with the older kids only having the choice of a "Juvenile" Valentine. That is a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't think we'll ever have a need to use hockey cards for valentines, but it seems like a great solution for boys. No mushy sayings -- perfect.

Chloe is looking alarmingly grown up in that picture.