Monday 11 February 2008

Snowboarding

This is the wrong day to post about my snowboarding lessons. I should have had my teacher take pictures during the first couple of weeks when I was elated with my progress and having a good time. This morning I wasn't so thrilled.
I missed the last two weeks of lessons due to weather and sickness. Client services gave me today as a make-up lesson for the one that they cancelled because of extreme cold weather, but they threw me in with a different teacher who didn't know where I was at, which wasted half an hour. And then the couple of weeks I've had off along with my lingering head cold (and the loopy state of my brain on cold medication) made today's lesson more frustrating.
Three weeks ago I was turning from my toes to my heels fairly well. Today I couldn't do it at all. Strangely I had all kinds of success turning from my heels to my toes, which I couldn't do at my last lesson. What gives? I acquired the second half of 'knowing' how to snowboard today, but I simultaneously lost the first half? Argh!
I made good use of my helmet today, and my butt is hurting from all the falling.
I'm not miserable enough to quit, it's more like I'm annoyed enough to keep trying. Lessons are over, but there is plenty of winter left. Next week the kids are off school and we're going to ski at Nakiska for two of those days. I'll rent a snowboard for one of them. And I'm going to continue to set aside one day a week to practise at C.O.P. on my own. I'll see where I'm at when the snow melts. I'm not buying my own board yet.

15 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh darn...I was hoping you'd have it mastered by now. I'm still proud of you for even attempting it because I get claustrophobic at the thought of having my feet strapped together.

You look great on the mountain regardless of how you feel you're doing.

Marie said...

You are just plain cool, Barb.

Have fun at Nakiska! May the powder be plentiful and your skys clear.

Mandy said...

I'm impressed you are still working on your snowboarding skills. I am so completely uncoordinated that the mere idea of having both of my feet anchored to something that moves, frightens me. Good luck!

Kelly said...

Gosh that looks hard! I feel all knees and rear just thinking about it. You go Barb!

Denise said...

Okay, there is far too much balancing involved here. I'm impressed you have a picture of yourself upright! I'm quite certain I wouldn't be able to claim the same. May you find the first half of your abilities again soon!

April said...

You are the most amazing woman...I hope Steven thinks you are totally cool on the slopes at Nakiska.

nic said...

Holy cow! 'A' for effort in the very least. I think you are probably officially the coolest mom in town. Have loads of fun (and keep ice packs/heating pads handy!).

michelle said...

Seriously. I still can't get over the fact that you are doing this. I can't see myself doing it. ever.

melanie said...

I'm with Michelle, I could never (ever!) see myself trying to snowboard. I'm so impressed. Sorry your butt hurts but way to push through the pain. Go Barb!

jenny said...

As you know my skills of snowboarding weren't the best. It's good to know I am not the only one that feels that way. You are looking good--practice makes perfect right?

carlo said...

wow! impressive.

do your kids know how lucky they are?

Amy said...

You are so much braver than I ever plan to be. The thought of any snow sport horrifies me. I hope you kick your cold for good & soon!

Tiffany said...

I'm glad the weather seems to be cooperating a bit so you could get back to your lesson! I don't think I could try snowboarding (that feet-together thing!). I've skied maybe 5-6 times in my life. The most I can do is get down an easy run in one reasonably un-hurt piece.

Unknown said...

i am TOTALLY digging you and your snowboarding vibe! i believe i would fail miserably in this pursuit...

Price Cream Parlor said...

I am totally proud of you! You ROCK!