Sunday 24 February 2008

52 Blessings


Would it be lame to be grateful for gratitude? This project is increasing my gratitude for everything, and that is a true blessing.
/
All week I kept an eye out for something I was especially grateful for. I was grateful for Ken using humor to deal with Chloe's itchy foot in her ski boot when the only other option would have been frustration. He made up an on the spot poem, which she recited repeatedly the rest of the day:
/b

(the key is to say itchy, itchay)

My foot is itchy,
Deep down in my shoe!
My foot is itchy,
I don't know what I'll do!
My foot is itchy,
I think it's turning blue!
b
Another one is I"m happy to have matured as a mother. There have been times when I haven't enjoyed school breaks and the havoc they wreak with my daily mojo, but we had last week off and I loved every moment of having my kids around, mojo be darned.
b
I've really enjoyed my most recent manic episode. I undergo minor manic/depressive periods, I think that's normal. Lately I've been manic and loving it! I've reorganized and de-cluttered every room in the house but the den (and its day is coming soon) in the last couple of weeks. What a feeling!
My *to-do* list is growing faster than I can cross things off, but in a good way, because so many ideas are seeming achievable right now.
b
Really, this week hasn't been so out of the ordinary, but this weekly search for blessings has improved my outlook. I have far more than 52 blessings.
.
[The return of blogger spell check - another blessing!]
m

11 comments:

Marie said...

I feel the same way about the 52 blessings project. I am just seeing so many things I could write about that I have been blessed with!

"....and it will surprise you what the Lord has done."

Oh, and the Itch-ay poem was great. I can hear Ken saying it in my head.

Anonymous said...

I could hear Ken's poem in my head, too.

And, I'm jealous of your current manic episode. I could really use one!

Amy said...

I'm now feeling left out that I can't hear Ken's "itch-ay" in my head. However, I'm dearly hoping that Keith & Kelly moving to AZ means I'll one day have the honor of meeting all of you! I think it's perfect to count the *realization of blessings* as a blessing. And a HUGE one.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a good post to read, Barb. "Mojo be darned" made me smile...you're starting to see you won't have the kids forever, huh? Next thing you know you'll be citing "This might be the last time we can do this before ____ (Jaclyn or whomever) leaves" then you'll go crazy again.

I sure enjoy and appreciate your blog.

Michelle Alley said...

Hilarious little poem! I love your outlook and am so glad you've had a great week.

April said...

Oh, I surely wish we were off on a school break! And I loved your idea of being grateful for gratitude. And your Ken is brilliant!

Denise said...

All your ski talk and pictures make me wish I were a skier. I know, I'm in Utah and I don't ski, that's nearly sacrilege. Still. It looks like a great family activity! And I love the cheesy poem, hope it did the trick.

carlo said...

what a cool project. i may have to jump on board -- late but blessed!

love your outlook on the "mojo" and i think the attitude is half the battle most times.

so glad you are having fun with the fam vacation.

Lucy said...

I need my own manic episode...please.

I think it's awesome to be grateful for gratitude. Our lesson in RS yesterday was on President Eyring's talk, "Remember, Remember" You girls doing this project are certainly following his wise counsel.

Elizabeth said...

I love school breaks as well. Definitely a blessing.

michelle said...

Reorganized and de-cluttered (nearly) every room in the house in two weeks?? Can your mania come visit me next?