Monday 18 February 2008

52 Blessings

Friends with Skills
Man, the main floor of our house felt cold on Saturday morning, but the kids were up first, and maybe they left the patio door open when they let the dog out. As the day went on the house warmed up; all seemed well. Then we took the kids out for the evening to a Hitmen game. When we got home the main floor was once again freezing! It turns out the warmth in the afternoon was all solar generated from our south facing windows - one of our furnaces was not working.
It was late Saturday night when we realized the problem. We have a friend in the furnace business, but it was not that cold, so we decided to wait to phone him in the morning. Ken called our friend's business number around 8:30 am Sunday morning and left a message. We hated to bother him on the weekend, so we didn't call him at home. Well, Ken ran into him at church and the guy came over right away - what a hero! I was going to post his business website at this point, but he doesn't really have one - and anything coming up on Google gives out his home address, too much personal information for my famous blog (wink). I'll just tell you his name is Eric. Eric fixed our furnace before I was even home from my church council meeting, how awesome is that? And he did invoice us, so we don't feel guilty about the favor, just grateful.
.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our furnace went out on us last year, during the coldest part of the winter. You could hear it start, and then mysteriously it would shut down. Once in a while it would keep going, and when this happened we would turn the temperature up 5 or 6 degrees in order to warm our house. We also used a space heater to keep warm.

We also have a friend who is in the furnace business. I spoke to his wife and she told me that he would be over that afternoon to look at it. The next day at church, she realized she forgot to relay the message. He came over after church and fixed our furnace with some steel wool. Sounds like Magiver doesn't it? Anyhow, he would only allow us to pay him with Ortensia's famous Caramel Popcorn. Even that was too much he said. I later told him that if everyone paid him in Carmel Popcorn that he wouldn't be in business too long.

Same friend also came over last night to administer to me as I had had a fever for 6 days by that point. This time he wouldn't even take the Caramel Popcorn.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh man, Barb, this even fits your theme for the year of "feel the heat"!

Good skilled friends are such a nice gift.

I got your Valentine in the mail, Saturday. Thank you, thank you. It is so darling. It is my new bookmark. Thank you.

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad you'll be cozy again tonight.

michelle said...

I love that Jane pointed out how this experience goes with your word of the year -- hooray for SPEEDY furnace repair!!

April said...

Friends with skills are almost as wonderful as handy husbands, and everyone ought to have at least one or the other. Feel the HEAT!

P.S. Thanks for the darling valentine...I love mail with your return address on it!

carlo said...

glad you are warmer...to be cold makes you really appreciate the weather.

i love my deer valentine from canada...how sweet of you to remember me!!!!!!! :)

Tiffany said...

Yea for getting the furnace fixed--so nice to have friends who know!

jenny said...

hurray for awesome eric!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Barb for the card. I loved it. Reminded me of some I had a child. Glad your warm once again.

Amy said...

Love Jane's reminder of your "feel the heat"...

Nice people are definitely something to be Grateful for.

Jill said...

What a blessing that Eric came over to fix your furnace on a Sunday. Winter cold turns to seriously freezing oh so quickly, and kind of makes me wonder about our "modern" technologies and so called shelters. Shouldn't we insulate better? But I digress. Hooray for heat!