Saturday 22 September 2007

Better late than never

We were slow to throw a birthday party for Steven this year. He wanted to wait until after school had started so that none of his friends would be away on summer holidays, and then once school did start he and I had a hard time finding something he wanted to do for his party. I did my research and found voucher packs for minor hockey tickets, which put a hockey-game-birthday-party in my price range: $8/ticket.
'

So on Friday night Ken and I took Steven and six of his closest friends to the season opener for the Calgary Hitmen. At the game there were Saddledome employees handing out inflatable noise sticks, which the boys put to good use.

'

I don't know, do we need a picture of the game in this post somewhere?
'

I bought the tickets far enough in advance to get first row seats, right behind the glass, and right next to the opposing team's bench. I would have to say that the boys were effective in distracting the visiting team.
'

The noise makers were SO LOUD on the glass. Luckily everyone around us were very good sports about sitting behind our crowd.
The game turned out to be the best birthday party ever. A few players got checked into the glass right in front of us. A puck also hit the glass almost directly in front of me - it sounded like gunshot! We won (very important). The boys were put up on the jumbotron screen twice for their antics. They also got their picture taken with the mascot, Farley the Fox. And there was a minor fight between the players - just a small fight, but enough to count (for some reason a hockey game isn't truly complete without a fight). And of course the big bonus was the noise makers - one boy took home 11 unopened & uninflated noise stick packets he'd stockpiled with every trip he made to the washroom. I wonder if his parents are speaking to me.'
?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post made me laugh on many levels. The Calgary Hitmen?? That is a hilarious team name. And I loved the picture of the row of boys all leaning forward in excitement. It does seem like the perfect birthday party!

melanie said...

That is a brave undertaking for a birthday party (at least for me). I'm glad you survived the noise and the game. Fun that there was action.

Marie said...

Umm, didn't you go to a baseball game or something in San Fran for his birthday already? Steven- please realize you are very lucky to have Barb for a mom. Two birthday sporting events is unbelivable.

Looks like the boys had fun. I love the pictures where they are using the noise makers and they are blurred. Cool photography, Barb.

Jill said...

That sounds like the coolest-boy birthday party ever! Front row right behind the glass, it doesn't get better than that!

carlo said...

awesome bday for the boys! you must be very popular!!

Sandi said...

That is soooo funny. I love that in your family boys are allowed to be proud of the manhood and girls of their womanhood. Two opposit posts if I ever saw them. You done good. LOL

michelle said...

The Hitmen, huh? Strangely appropriate for a hockey team. I can imagine this party was a huge hit! Bravo.

Unknown said...

do you think i can bring jack and 8 of his friends up there for his birthday party in march?!? TONS of fun!!

Ortensia Norton said...

Oh, that would have been fun to be at. Seven estatic 11 year old boys are hilarious. I hope you bruoght ear plugs though!

This is it for formal parties right? Or does he have one more?