Friday 21 September 2007

*
Steven got a t-shirt this summer that says:

$ is my symbol

And he's been working hard to live up to it.

For more than a year now, he's been making regular trips to the bottle depot. The earnings here are slim - I think that the deposits on canned pop, bottled water, and juice boxes are relatively low. All the money from bottles goes towards Steven's mission fund. The savings aren't building very quickly, but the principle of working towards a mission is probably more important at this point.

Steven has been unhappy to be on the chore 'dole' of mowing the lawn or doing other jobs around the house. He has things he wants to spend money on, and his parents don't pay enough, so I helped him find a new source of income.

^

^

I knew that whatever I helped Steven find for a job was going to be an equal burden on me and my schedule as it would be on him, so I kept that in mind as I looked around at flyer routes. We found an advertising strip that is delivered quarterly, and Steven lucked into getting the route for our own community.

Steven now thinks the people in our community are 'paranoid' because so many of them have security systems, which he hadn't noticed before he delivered the flyers. I explained to Steven that many of the houses in our community are empty all day during the work week, and that's at least part of the reason why our neighbors get these security systems. He summarized his understanding of my explanation by saying, "So basically you're our security guard?" Well, I'm home during the day, so yeah, basically. Flex and I are scaring away any potential prowlers, I guess. And Steven would tell you that he now thinks having a dog is a big help - he hated delivering to any doors where his presence was met by barking. The funniest security system Steven ran into was a motion sensitive sprinkler system.

Steve delivered 850 flyers for $85.00 which I think sounds like loads of money for an 11 year old, but it's already disappeared. He set aside 10% for tithing, 45% for savings (all of our kids' earnings get this breakdown) and the remaining 45% went to a new Xbox game.

$

$

11 comments:

Marie said...

Way to go Steven! That is some serious work and some serious earning. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

That does sound like some serious cash. Quarterly is the way to go for something like that (at least for you!). He's looking so tall in that photo.

melanie said...

I love teaching kids the value of work and money. Priceless lesson! ANd Kelly is right, quarterly works best!

Jill said...

That's quite the savings plan break down, I wish I would have learned that as a kid. Everything I made got spend right away. I even used to give friends money too (I was rich one summer from babysitting a ton) so that they could have fun shopping too. Crazy girl.

carlo said...

what a cutie! earning and getting good exercise, to boot!

we do the breakdown, too.

love to pop over for multiple posts!

michelle said...

45% for savings, huh? That's awesome! I need to talk my kids into that.

Sandi said...

Good job mom. We taught all our children that and they are all great money managers.

Ortensia Norton said...

I always longed for some extra cash as a kid. Glad he found himself a job!

Anonymous said...

It is great that you are teaching your son about money and how to get in the habit of paying tithing now and saving. We have a testimony about tithing.

Anonymous said...

The shirt say $ is my symbol, i say Symbol

Barb said...

I'll fix it, Steven.