Saturday 26 January 2008

Congratulations

.
We bought a new minivan last Saturday - Ken picked it up on Thursday night. I drove around with the camera in the car yesterday, planning to take pictures, but it was Steven who found the camera in the front seat and followed through. So there you go: my new dashboard.
Our old minivan is a '98 Windstar that has become a clunker. We put a bunch of money into it before Christmas, and now the transmission is acting up. It's up for sale, anyone want it?
As we sat in the dealership buying the new vehicle I knew it was what we needed, we got a great deal, and all that, but I really wasn't happy to be spending the money. It is my first new car, but our second new car counting Ken's truck which he bought new a couple of years ago. The thing is, I'm not at all into cars, so the purchase of a new van wasn't exciting to me, just expensive. And I wondered to myself am I so spoiled that I couldn't get excited, but I don't think that was it, I was just a little sick about the money and how have we become the people who drive new cars?
So all of the salespeople and managers were coming around shaking our hands, congratulating us on our new Odyssey. Congratulations felt like the wrong word. Congratulations for driving my last car into the ground? Congratulations for acquiring debt?
But Friday as I drove the kids to school in my heated seats with tight steering, and a transmission that stayed in gear I felt a little differently. Even happy to have a new minivan. Then last night Ken and I took our new car out for a big long drive to Cardston and back and it was fun and quiet and smooth. (We even ate in the car, but don't tell the kids.)
So I'm happy now. I'm ready to hear congratulations.
.

18 comments:

Lindsay said...

Congratulations. Enjoy the new ride!

Sandi said...

Congrats. Don't you just love the heated seats? My daughter-in-law has that in her mini van and I use it when I visit them.

Natasha said...

I say congrats are in order. I have a Camry now and I sooooo miss my mini van, wish I'd never given it up 2 years ago!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats! I'm glad the buyer's remorse has lessened so that you can enjoy it. Congrats!

Marie said...

Sounds like your new grand piano drives very well!

I think heated seats are a brilliant idea. When Mom and Dad babysit for us we always switch and drive their car so they can have the carseats and van if they need to go out. I am in love with their seat heaters.

Anonymous said...

Well, what color? You can tell I'm not a car person either because my question is only "what color", not horsepower or any of that.

Heated seats are one of my favorite inventions. I only wish my couch came equipped.

And now your back windshield will work and you can open your trunk! Congratulations are definitely in order!

Kelly said...

We got rid of our 98 Windstar a few years ago, it was a royal piece of crapola from the day we drove it off the lot. You are going to be so HAPPY with your new Honda you won't even realize you are in debt! And my philosophy is, my car is a work horse, I spend at least 5 hours a day in it transporting my precious cargo so I definitely need something reliable and comfy. Go New Car!

Humphreys Family said...

It will be money well spent next week with the forecast highs of -21 to -25 .... as you drive the kiddies to school, you'll love the seat heaters so much you'll forget all about how much they cost. You know i love my van - Congratulations, you'll get over the $$$.

michelle said...

I understand your feelings about not wanting to spend money on cars. I don't care about cars, either, I just want something reliable to get us around. I bought a used Odyssey 4 years ago and I love it. I bet the new model is even better!

Denise said...

Hmm...a clunker with a temperamental transmission. That's a tempting offer, but I am going to have to pass.

Yay for the new van! I have an Odyssey too (along with half of the developed world) and it's been great. I am a fan of the seat heaters, too; my leather seats clean well, which is a huge plus, but warm they ain't! So the heaters come in very handy. Congrats!

Jill said...

Congratulations! I think getting a new car is such a treat and so deserved. Think about how much time a week you spend in there. It's almost like a second home, so it makes perfect sense that it would be something nice and comfortable. Enjoy!

Amy said...

Congratulations! With the gas prices of the world, I'm totally voting for a mini-van next go round. I drive a hugely non-economical Expedition. I love the shiny new dash!

The Monkeys said...

Congratulations! My extended family is very anti-minivan, but I think it is the way to go. Who cares what you drive as long as it is reliable and it's looks like you needed something reliable, so enjoy!

jenny said...

I LOVE our Honda. I hope you enjoy every minute of it!! Congrats on the car!

Tiffany said...

I was totally understanding your thoughts (congratulations from the salespeople?). We bought a new car a few years ago--I felt the same way. But, I know you can certainly get used to the lack of car repair bills really fast!

April said...

Oh I know so well the new car anxiety and joy combo...congratuations on your heated seats...now that is definitely something to celebrate. There is nothing quite as comforting as a reliable car!

carlo said...

oh i hear you-- congrats

heated seats? OH yeah!!!!

annalisa said...

I think I may be joining you. My car needs repairs not worth its age so it's time for a new one. We've been debating new and more expensive and doesn't lose as much value so it's easier to trade in a few years. Or older, less expensive, run the risk of losing all the value or repairs.
So we're looking at Accords and Alexis wants a sunroof and I want heated leather seats. With that car seat jamming into the back seat, I want it on leather so it doesn't damage the cloth.
We went to look at one a few years old tonight, driving around in heated leather seats. Then we checked carfax: total haul over, repaired beyond it's value a few years ago. I think we'll go new, or maybe a 2007 and get spoiled with those features.
Ok that was a long story for a comment :).