Saturday 27 October 2007

Same difference

When my kids say to me same difference what they mean is close enough!

I've recently read two books that are the same but different - close enough to link together in this post. Both are somewhat autobiographical, and both present stories and reflections. Kitchen table wisdom is thoughtful; Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life is comedic.

'

'
Kitchen Table Wisdom shares a story called The Container which I first heard in the January 2003 Primary Broadcast in a talk by Gayle M. Clegg. I would have read this book long ago if I had checked the source of the container story in her talk. The whole book is filled with stories and wisdom. I'll share one story.

The Task Gets Between Us is a story about a man who enjoys mountain climbing with his son until he (the dad) becomes ill and can no longer climb mountains. The father describes the change in his relationship with his son:

"I can't do much just now, so we sit and talk. I ask him about his life and how he feels about it. For the first time I know what is important to him, what sort of a man he is, what keeps him going. And I talk to him too. I know now that I am important to him, that he wants to spend time with me and not because we can do physical things together. Sometimes we just sit together, being alive. The mountain got between us before. I had not known that."

For me this was a good reminder that quality time is about relating to each other, and also made me look at the 'mountains' in my own life.

'
On the lighter side, I just finished reading Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life. I didn't connect with everything Amy Krouse Rosenthal had to share, but here is a sample that rang true to me:
'
Approachers

People are either approachers or avoiders. Approachers will dart across a crowded room and enthusiastically state the obvious: "It's you! We went to camp together! I haven't seen you since we were ten!" An avoider, in the same situation, would make no effort whatsoever to reconnect. They reason: So we once knew each other. That in and of itself is not interesting. I have no desire to acknowledge that we once, long ago, roasted marshmallows together. It will only be awkward to make small talk, and our shared campfire history is of no consequence. I see you. And you see me. That is enough. And while the avoider chooses not to approach, the approacher really has no conscious choice in the matter; approaching is just what they do.

My inner dialogue is often about talking myself into saying hello, so I don't really fit either classification, but obviously I lean towards being an avoider. Approaching isn't just what I do.
'
I'm going to try to break this post up into two pieces and paste it into Good Reads. (Do you live in more than one cyber community? Good Reads is a nice neighborhood, I'd recommend it!) My next book is Lassie Come Home. Carmen gave it to me for my birthday. She saw me consider it at her school book fair, so the next day she took her own money to school and bought it for me. I think it was my favorite birthday gift.
'

10 comments:

Marie said...

I have had several good reads invitations, but I just haven't had time to go and see what it is, how it works, or anything. It is still the in "in coming" file in my mind.

I love that Carmen gave you such a thoughtful gift. She is a sweet and awesome girl!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving good reads. And I loved both the thoughts you shared from your books.

I'm definitely not an approacher, but it's not because I'm an avoider really in the sense she shared (like it doesn't matter to me). It's because I'm too shy and sure they would never remember me and I would feel really dumb.

That has to be the sweetest birthday gift. I love that!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm going to check both of these books out, Barb. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ahhhhh, Carmen's thoughtfulness makes me warm.

jenny said...

What a sweet, sweet gift from Carmen. I hope you had a WONDERFUL birthday Barb!

Ortensia Norton said...

THat was all a great post, but my favourite was Carmen's present.

Elizabeth said...

I am enjoying all the updates at goodreads. Hopefully soon I will be able to update my library. Sitting at the computer desk it not working for me and my pregnant body right now.

carlo said...

oh my goodness. i LOVE that carmen did that. so thoughtful and so, so sweet. just makes me teary!

interesting book excerpts. hmmm, i am more of an approacher. i think.

Anonymous said...

I love to read. I would have to say that I am an approacher on occasion. Some times I am the advoider. It would depend on who it was I was seein across the room.

How sweet of Carmen!! Have fun reading, let us know how good the book is.

annalisa said...

I love Goodreads! I haven't read either book, but hey that's what recommendations are about right?

michelle said...

I'm not an approacher. Definitely an avoider. I want to read Kitchen Table Wisdom, I read another of her books and just loved it. I didn't connect with everything AKR had to say, either, but enough. And besides, I just loved the concept SO much.

How totally sweet of Carmen to buy you a book at the book fair!