Thursday 4 October 2007

My oven konked out on me on Sunday, can you believe it? I'm not going to write up a tally of recent appliance fatalities here, but come on! The universe is conspiring against me ever getting a grand piano.
1444
I have a gas oven and the igniter fizzled out. I knew it was coming because it's happened once before, and the signs were there: slow to preheat, food taking slightly longer than usual to cook through. But on Sunday it wouldn't preheat at all, and the smell of gas was obvious, so no pear pie for Steven - too bad! On Monday I made up a batch of pear jam instead.
14
It was actually Jaclyn who was the most concerned about the oven. She doesn't like pear pie at all, and she was more than okay with hot fudge sundaes on Sunday, but she was a little worried I wouldn't be able to bake her birthday cake this week.
14

14
An igniter is supposed to last 5 years, but I do a lot of baking, which puts Ken on a 3.5 year schedule with this home repair. He took care of it on Monday night, days before I needed to make Jaclyn her birthday cake. She asked for a black forest cake, same as last year.
4

14
Jaclyn scored on the birthday present this year. Ken bought a beautiful cruiser 3-speed for her down at the Interbike show last week. She was completely thrilled with it, and what girl wouldn't be? I forgot to take a picture of the seat, well not so much forgot as she wouldn't get off the bike, but here's the rest of it:





The bike is pink and brown, with a grip gear shift. The paint job is beautiful, and I love Love LOVE! the flower tire tread. I just need to attach her wicker bike basket, and she will be the show!
14



At school Jaclyn's friends decorated her locker and posted a blank sheet of paper to allow all passers by to write Jaclyn a birthday note. Then in science class her teacher caught wind of the birthday and tricked Jaclyn into going up to the front of the class. Mr. D. then had all the boys in the room get down on one knee and sing her *Happy Birthday*!
14
She's pretty happy to be 14!
14

16 comments:

Elizabeth said...

She does look like one happy 14 year old. You must be doing something right.

carlo said...

oh what a great bday! she is just lovely!

and the tire tread? LOVE!

seriously, what is going on with your appliances? that stinks...

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I have never seen a bike that fancy...how fun.

You're right...it seems like all of your appliances are going out at once. Ummm. Let me guess. You've been married about 15 years? That's when they seem to go.

Kelly said...

The appliance issues are just the pits! But so lucky to have someone in the family that even knows what an ignigter is! We would have been waiting the 8-8 window for that diagnosis.

Fabulous birthday, and the science teacher? What a guy. But the flower tire tread? Truly awesome!

Mandy said...

Happy Birthday to Jacklyn. That bike is beautiful. I can't believe the tires on it.

Marie said...

I love that the boys in her class sang her happy birthday. At fourteen that would have been the abosolute most embarassing thing, but still your favourite part of the day.

jenny said...

I was about to say what the heck with all of your poor appliances?? That stinks, but I guess lucky you have a handy Ken to fix it.

I LOVE Jacklyn's bike. My SIL has a pink beach cruiser and it is super fun to ride. Hmmm I may have to ask one for my birthday next year.

Happy birthday to her!

Denise said...

That is one seriously cool bike. I mean, floral tires? AWESOME!

Emily said...

So glad she had such a special day!

Lucy said...

Your appliances are cursed. So sorry about that.

I love that bike! It's fabulous.

Anonymous said...

That's the perfect gift from Ken to Jaclyn. The tires are fantastic!

I think it's time to move, Barb! Your house is expiring or something. That is so crazy. Keep an eye on that fridge.

sista # 2 said...

Hey, that bike doesn't look like my orange banana seat, hand-me-down
back in the day!haha Sooo cool!

Jill said...

Sorry about the oven woes, but really since you're the pie making queen I can see why it got tired early.

That bike is seriously stylin!

Anonymous said...

That is a very cool bike. So pretty, and I too love the tires.

And your oven thing, very weird. That is great that you guys were able to fix it yourselves. I don't know what we would have done. Pay $50/hr to a repair man I guess.

carlo said...

can't wait to see what you have been eating with no stove/oven. If we know you, it is FAB

michelle said...

Oh my gosh, I think that must be the cutest bike EVER! Love it!

So sorry about the oven. We have had a lot of appliances fail on us, in fact I think the oven is the only one that hasn't! (knock on wood)