Friday 19 October 2007

The end of cross country running season

We finished off another year of cross country running this week. The elementary cross country team takes in grades three through six, which created a unique opportunity for Carmen and Steven to participate in something together this year.

Carmen joined the cross country running team purely for social reasons, and she enjoyed that aspect of the team. She liked the recognition she got at the school pep ralley a few weeks ago, and she also liked seeing friends from other schools at the races.
The biggest lesson Carmen learned from running cross country was how to be happy for one of her best friends who won every single race. Carmen was quite unhappy with her 'Participant' ribbon in her first race, especially compared to Elliott's first place ribbon. This got better with every race, till she could finally be sincerely happy for her friend by the final race this week.


Steven 'placed' in most of his races, but it was still a big growth year for him as well. He went from loping through his first race to really pushing himself to the end in his last race. I was so proud of him at that last race, the way he gave everything he had to the very end. He was completely used up afterwards, and probably didn't enjoy all the praise he got from so many of the parents who saw the way he finished.
!
Way to go Carmen and Steven!
!

11 comments:

jenny said...

I never liked running as a kid. (weird to think about it now) I think that is awesome they were able to participate in this together!

Marie said...

Horay Steven and Carmen! I'm sure they both did a great job and had fun. I wish I'd have been able to watch a race and cheer them on.

Anonymous said...

How fun for them! That had to be an interesting dynamic with Carmen and her friend. Don't you just love that she "got it" at the end? That takes some real maturity!

carlo said...

Love that you survived another season and most of all that it "clicked" with C.

melanie said...

My kids are still very little but since last week's jog-a-thon they have both been doing Junior Joggers at recess. They count laps and run the whole time. I think it's great, we'll just have to see if it is something they end up liking.

Way to go Carmen & Steven!

Anonymous said...

I think that's great that they both enjoy participating in athletics and get to do it together. Kids learn such good lessons from competition.

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see that Steven still hasn't been able to where his hat straight. Also, Barb you mentioned on Marie's blog that I am out there lurking; I don't consider myself a lurker, I just don't feel the need to comment about my feelings every time you make a post. If you would like though I am sure that I could come up with a satirical comment for all of your posts as there is always plenty of material. After all, what are brothers for??

Jill said...

I've never heard of having a cross-country team in elementary school, that's pretty cool.

It's fantastic that Carmen could learn to be happy for her friend by the end of the season, that's a life lesson that will travel well through life.

Michelle Alley said...

I'm so impressed at the little lessons your kids learned through this and that they were close enough to you to talk about it with you. Or at least that you saw it. I used to love to run as a girl, but never did anything about it! This is such a great opportunity for them:)

michelle said...

Cross country is pretty impressive! I never would have chosen to run more than I had to -- well, at any stage of my life, I guess. And learning to be happy for a friend's success is a great lesson, even better at such a young age!

Sandi said...

Way to go kiddos.