Tuesday 25 September 2007

The road less travelled

(I'm camera-less this week, but I'm going to try to tie in the SPT challenge with this post)

I spent one day last week exploring Fish Creek Park on a 9th grade science field trip. In the morning before I left I was grumbling (on the inside) about going out in the rain all day with a bunch of 14 year olds when I had so much to do at home, but once I got out there I really enjoyed myself. I'm a nature girl. I love the outdoors. Unfortunately, my job as a mom usually confines me to the house with homework, music practise, and housework, and sometimes I forget how much I like being outside.



Ninth grade field trips have serious perks. The kids were fun to talk to and they didn't really need my help, so my job was easy. And I won't have any trouble signing up to chaperon future 9th grade field trips because not very many parents sign up for them, unlike say, 1st grade field trips where you feel like you have to have an 'in' with the school secretary or all the parent helper positions will be filled before you even know there is a field trip.

I can't believe I thought I wanted to clean the basement rather than go out into nature with Jaclyn and her class! I'm kinda proud of myself that I didn't go with my *default priority* of cleaning above all else.


<<>>>


SPT tie-in: I've been meaning to clean and organize the basement for a long time, but I''m so glad I postponed it. (I'll also be glad to finally get around to it this week!)


17 comments:

jenny said...

What a great lesson to us all! I grumble each year I sign up for the room parent, but in the end I am always so glad my kids are excited I am there with them. That nature outing looks gorgeous!

Good luck tackling the basement :)

Michelle Alley said...

Barb, I've missed so much on your blog, I'll come back tonight and check out everything you've been up to! I'm so glad you were able to get outdoors for the field trip, it sounds like it was a lot of fun. It looks beautiful!
I'm organizing this week too, let's see who can get done first! Have a great day my friend!

Unknown said...

i think this is a great tie in to spt. notice i only completed one tiny, insignificant thing for my own challenge. i wish i could say i didn't get the other things done because i was too busy slogging around in the rain on a field trip. that is my kind of fun!

carlo said...

I love the younger fieldtrips (though I usually come home with a throbbing headache and an undying love for the teachers!) but look forward to the field trips you speak of-- more interaction

oh and the basement is something i should tackle but won't be doing anytime soon so good for you! can't wait to see pics.

Denise said...

Whose basement doesn't need cleaning? Take advantage of the outdoors while you can, and then when winter hits and you're stuck inside, tackle the basement.

The nature is beautiful in those pics. It makes me feel more serene just to look at them!

Sandi said...

You can always clean the basement, but the field trip only happens once. I miss those days.

Anonymous said...

I love that first picture.

We're still in the phase where there's a lottery to see which parents get to go on the field trips. I grumble about things internally, too, and then enjoy them so much that I wonder why I grumble in the first place.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Wow, what a good trade. You're a smart woman!

melanie said...

Sounds much better than the pizza field trip I took with Kathryn's kinder class. Nature and no kids kicking, perfect field trip.

Oh the organizing. I'll think of you. I need to do it too!

Ortensia Norton said...

You've hit it right on the nose. That is why my house is a disaster: there is always something to do outside and knowing that winter in coming I CAN'T stay inside if it's nice.

That would have been a very fun fieldtrip. I assume you went on trips with all these kids when they were in grade 1??

Amy said...

I look forward to field trip days to come. I love when you meet the happy surprise of truly enjoying something you've dreaded.

michelle said...

I find I almost always end up enjoying the things I dread. (So why do I keep on with the dread?) I'll keep your experience in mind when Max has jr. high field trips...

Elizabeth said...

I never thought of field trips when they get older. I am signing up for the water park for sure.

Lucy said...

It really looks like fun. I'm hoping with boys, I get to do things like this more often than not.

Jill said...

This post reminded me that I'm schedule to go on Landon's class field trip to the mountains next week as well. I'll probably want to stay home that day too, but will end up loving it.

The pull of cleaning out the basement is understandable to me. It's not a matter of desiring that more than going on the field trip, it's the desire to have the job done that's so appealing.

Anonymous said...

That looks like such a beautiful area. What a great field trip to take! The last awsome outdoor school field trip I had was in 4th grade at Yellowstone Nat'l Park.

Also, you just inspired me to try to tackle my messy garage. I'll see if the hubby is up for it (right!).

Anonymous said...

I think it is great that you got to get out of the house. The basement will keep waiting until your ready to tackle it. I recently have had to chance to help out at the school. I really enjoyed helping. Thanks for all your great comments that you leave on my blog. I enjoy them.