Friday 28 September 2007


Recently I found a blank greeting card with this picture on the front (and I found more by the same artist here). I bought it because it spoke to me, but I wonder, should I just mail it to myself? Am I the only one who enjoys this? Should I feel guilty that I do?
?
Ken went away this week to the Interbike show in Las Vegas with a couple of his buddies, and I've had the whole bed to myself. Oh yeah, I'm sleeping right down the middle. Unfortunately, he took our only camera with him. Ken tells me that he got some great pictures when he was out riding, but I feel like I've been disarmed. Can I write about my comings and goings of this week without pictures to speak for me? Must this post be longer than usual to compensate for the *a picture is worth a thousand words* story-telling-deficit this puts me in?
!
I have been struck with two unsubstantiated moments of worry this week, which isn't my usual way - what's with that? Maybe my subconscious self doesn't enjoy having the whole bed to myself quite as much as my conscious self does.
!
The first moment came when my visiting teachers were sitting in my living room. I have new visiting teachers, and they are a power couple. I mean, if I were the Relief Society president I would send these ladies out to *high needs* homes. As I sat there thinking how lucky I am to have such terrific new visiting teachers it crossed my mind: what is coming up in my future that is going to require me to have these wonderful women to lean on? I expressed this thought to them, much to their amusement.
?
My second moment of unbidden worry came this afternoon, but let me start from the beginning on this one. As a dental hygienist I have to register for a licence to practise on an annual basis, expiring every October 31st. One of the requirements of annual registration is to take a CPR course, which I did in June with the rest of my office. However, it came to my attention on Wednesday that the required CPR course has changed this year, therefore the 'usual one' I took back in June was totally worthless. On Thursday I went into work and this was the hot topic amongst my fellow hygienists: How could we have missed this? Why did our governing body not alert us to this sooner? When a former coworker came in for treatment yesterday afternoon, it was the first thing I told her about. She hadn't heard about the change, and she was booked to get CPR training the next day with her husband's office, so she became concerned that she was also booked for the wrong course. She checked into it right away, and came back to tell me that purely by chance they had in fact booked the correct course: CPR for the Health Care Professional (a brand new course offered for the first time this year). She then invited me to attend the CPR update at her husband's office the next afternoon for free! I cleared my schedule and made it work, so here I am now, two days after I found out I had a problem, with the problem totally behind me. I mailed off my registration with all the correct documentation on my way home from the class this afternoon.
!
I recognize that the chain of events came together very nicely for me. If I had found out about my CPR bungle a day later, or if my former coworker hadn't come in for treatment on Thursday, I would have missed receiving the correct training so easily and immediately.
!
Here's the paranoid part:
!
Most of what I learned today was just repetition of what I learned in June, with only minor additional information. Taking two CPR recertification classes three months apart has me very well trained at this time, and as I practised my CPR skills this afternoon I found myself thinking: Am I going to need these skills sometime soon, and did this whole certification problem come about so that I would have stronger life saving skills right now? Basically, again my question was: What terrible thing is on the horizon?
*
Don't worry about me, though. Ken will be home tomorrow, and I'm sure once again I will see clear skies in my forecast. For tonight, I'm sleeping with the kids.
!

21 comments:

sista # 2 said...

Hope it's a nice, smooth night for ya! (just talking the other day with moms at scouts about CPR -scary thought -you never know)ciao

Ortensia Norton said...

If it is any assurance, I think of the worst case scenario every day. Many times a day and very little has happened to me in my life. Now, that fact that you never do this and it's now happening could me you are having a premonition (but aren't those usually hindsight is 20/20?) or that you have been subconciously started to become more like Kelly and I since you communicate with us every day.
Consider the VTers a gift from your RS president. Or an error. And the CPR, a political nusiance by the all powerful and mighty governing boards.

I saw that picutre and just about died. It is my wish every day. I want a DOUBLE king size bed. That is my other wish. And send it to your self or send it to me and I will send it back. We're going to Leth for thanksgiving. IF you are there I can take it and mail it for you. Wow being a little sick makes me chatty

Anonymous said...

Well, first of all -- I LOVE having the whole bed to myself. I always feel a tad guilty that I sleep so well when Keith is gone. That card is great!

I'm laughing about RGLHM's comment about you subconsciously picking up our worry. Basically, more moments than not in my life are filled with unsubstantiated worry. It's a problem. I'm working on it! Got a good book recommendation for RGLHM. One of the things I tell Keith is that if I worry about it, then it won't happen. Said good book may indicate that this is delusional thinking, but I recommend it. Ha!

No really, I think you have to take these things as RGLHM said. Good VTers as a gift -- the YW president needs good VTers just as much as the "high need" ladies. And the CPR -- take comfort in being prepared.

Sleep tight.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh wow, you verbalized the worrying process perfectly! I loved how you opened this post, ended it and weaved your thoughts throughout it. And, though it is miserable for you, I was glad to hear that someone else sometimes tries to out-guess the future. (And if this is any consolation, every time I have a "bad one" happening in life--I don't have ANY visiting teachers! Good visiting teachers would mean clean sailing to me :)

Kelly said...

I like Neighbor Jane's take on the VTeacher situation! So true.

I love the bed all to myself. With Mike's new Scout Master calling I am guaranteed at least one weekend a month with him gone. It is a dreary thought until I think of the bed, ahhh!

I do the premonition thing often, currently I spend a lot of time thinkig Mike's job is cush, we love our house and my kids are in a great place with their friends and activities. Must mean it is time for another transfer!

I think because you have TWO CPR's under your belt, you can relax. It is the times you think about recertification, then cast the thought aside or procrastinate that you should worry!

Price Cream Parlor said...

WOW! This hit home with me as I am a worrier! I tend to go through "the worst case senerio" just to make myself mentally prepared. I have to agree with the comments though. VT's that come, that are amazing - are a GIFT! CPR classes are a must. Having two under your belt will just better prepare you for anything or nothing. I always wonder if I can be that someone at the resturant that saves someone like in the movies! HA - just steppin' in and taking over and ta da! Life saving! If not - you are totally prepared.
Preparation is key. You are READY for anything of nothing. That must feel great!

Anonymous said...

Barb, I really enjoyed how insightful you are. What a blessing to have gotten your CPR Training the way you did.

I just met my new visiting teachers for the first time this last week. I enjoyed once again how you looked at how wonderful they were and wondered why you might need such great visiting teachers.

As for the picture. Love it! I would be sleeping across the bed if I had it to my self.

Tip Junkie said...

I can relate to that picture too. ;) I'm glad you've got good visiting teachers. It makes the visit more fun.

Amy said...

I so do this, Barb. And that's why I need my solid, steady Jim next to me in bed. I don't love sleeping alone, myself.

Marie said...

I like to think of myself as a pretty put-together person. Confident. Brave. Able to handle. I almost never think of the terrible things that could happen to my little family, and assume that things will work out for us.

Until Dirk is gone overnight.

It doesn't happen often, but if he needs to spend the night away and it is just me in the evening, suddenly I am super vigilent about having curtains closed and doors locked at night, and I hear noises that can only be explained as burglers coming to get us when I am in bed.

Then in the morning I feel very silly and tell myself how strong I am.

Denise said...

Another worrier checking in. I'm so glad it's not just me! I have to talk myself down from the ledge all the time. I'm always wondering if there's a reason I needed to see a certain show on tv or read a certain article, because our family will be dealing with that disease or tragedy or whatever.

And I LOVE having the bed to myself. I sleep sooooo much better. I think people had the right idea in the old days, when couples each had their own room.

Michelle Alley said...

Maybe you should be asking yourself, "What did I do right?"...to get such great visiting teachers and to have a problem ironed out so quickly with your friend and the CPR class. Maybe Heavenly Father's trying to tell you that you're doing a great job. Anyway, as a glass half empty gal, who poses as a glass half full - I would totally worry about what was to come, than console myself with the half-glass full part. So glad everything worked out for you!

jenny said...

I probably wouldn't blog without the camera, but you have a way with words that makes it fun and exciting to read (a true gift :)

I haven't taken a CPR class in nearly 10 years--yikes. I often fear that I really wouldn't know what to do if something really were to happen. Would I remember the numbers and pushes (something I don't like to think about) Glad you got it worked out.

I hope you sleep good tonight. Those cards are very cool.

Emily said...

I could actually send that card to my hubby and he'd laugh. He knows of my love for the whole bed to myself. In fact, we have a queen and have been talking about getting a king but he says we can't because he'll never see me again!

P.S. Mark was at the Interbike convention too!

carlo said...

oh i love the cards. i have seen them and i love them.

hmmmm, the "wondering" sounds like something i do often and i understand the worry factor

i too love the having the entire bed to myself. (though i never sleep as well, strangely enough)

Sandi said...

What a great piece of writing. You tied that all up very professionally. The bright side is, whatever is out there, you are well prepared.

Jill said...

You're freaking me out a little bit with your worries. I don't usually think that way, but you may be on to something. I hope not. Maybe it's a fluke that you got two powerhouse visiting teachers. That happens sometimes and doesn't usually last long (the powers that be figure it out and make changes) so maybe it's just a blessing for now.

The CPR thing is a little bit freaky, but you're super prepared so you have no need to fear!

I'd be totally disarmed without my camera for a week too, I hope he brings it back to you soon.

Also, I love having the bed to myself.

Jill said...

P.S. I love the art on that card and would have bought it for myself. The post-it pad Kelly sent me for my birthday is in that style and I love it!

Anonymous said...

I'm just assuming that Ken got home fine and everything is okay, but I keep checking your blog to see if you've updated. Hope all is well!

Lucy said...

I have gotten awfully used to at least a night a week alone and haven't had it the entire time we've lived in Utah. I know this is so backwards, but I kind of miss those nights. But...it looks like I'm not alone.

michelle said...

ha! You are definitely not the only one who feels that way! Love the card.

Every now and then I have those funny little worries too. Like, hmmm, things are pretty easy right now, what's on the horizon? Then I come to my senses and put my worries to rest.

I love Michelle A.'s comment! What are you doing right to deserve these good things coming your way?