Thursday 16 August 2007

Kelly: my personal recreation manager (part 1)

Kelly has really outdone herself thinking of fun things for us to do while my family visits her family this week. First up: The Vista House on Crown Point. If only all the great states I've driven through in the past two weeks had roadside rest stops like the Vista House. I have fear-factored many restrooms on this road trip, and I just can't believe this beautiful piece of architecture was built as a rest stop for travellers on the old Columbia River highway.

This is the beautiful view of the Columbia River Gorge from the Vista House.


And these are the beautiful windows in the Vista House. The marbleized (I spell checked this work, truly) stained glass is like nothing I've ever seen before and if I were building a new home I would think of a place for this.

I took many many pictures of the marbleized stained glass windows. What I thought was brilliant about this choice for the house is the way the colors and the swirls reflected the river itself.

Steven and Brynlee waiting for Kelly and I to finish taking pictures and Jaclyn to finish shopping the gift shop.

Multnomah Falls are just down the historic highway from the Vista House. I started taking pictures of signs back when I was still scrapbooking (I do online photobooks now) because of the way I felt my terrible handwriting ruined my scrapbooks.

The sun was shining brightly over the top of the falls, so I could only get a good picture of the bottom half, but they were so beautiful!

Self portrait: I can't help myself.

We hiked up the path along the falls and the kids stopped to pose for a group picture. How amazing is it that we caught a picture with every kid facing the camera?


Steven was hiking along just off the paved path with me following him. When he got to this sign he covered it up and said: Don't read this sign, mom. Ha!

Chloe and Emerson. To me this picture summarizes the way all these cousins love each other and get along. The playing is nonstop - they had the craziest game of hide & seek in the basement yesterday that ended with Steven pelting the girls (mostly Avery) with stuffed animals and the girls screaming with delight.

8 comments:

Price Cream Parlor said...

Looks like a glorious day at the falls! Fun photos! So fun last night - I will have to post about it after my birthday post. Enjoy your stay!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What great photos Barb. I love the girls holding hands. What a great thing to have such compatible families.

Ortensia Norton said...

It's fun to get the story from two different people. I would love to go to those falls. They are amazing! Can't wait for the girls night out post.

Marie said...

I'm jealous. I might not read your other vacation posts just so my skin doesn't actually turn green.

Michelle Alley said...

So fun! I just love going down the Columbia Gorge -and love Multnoma falls. Love your pictures and it is great that all the kids are facing the camera - quite amazing!

Sandi said...

Wow! Fantastic vacation pictures. The memories will never fade and your self-portrait is adorable.

Jill said...

I think it's delightful that you can't help yourself when it comes to self-portraits, they're darling and it's so nice to have you on your blog.

That place looks gorgeous.

carlo said...

wow-- those falls are amazing!

Loved getting caught up a bit though I can't wait to read more!

Your goodmail was so sweet and I am happy that you liked the feta/hommos dip. It is a fave of mine, too! SO nice that you took time to write.